Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Proposal for a Photo Exhibit.

Re: A Proposal for a Large Format Photo Exhibit.

Mmmm I'm confused. Steve, I don't think this thread is about the conference you are referring to but Al's idea of doing an exhibit. Make a new thread to talk about that subject in detail.
    Al, I'd be interested and I think having someone jury the entrants is a good idea. Now who this/they would be is another question.

Although I would be interested too, non-US submitters [to the LF Book] are practically excluded - how would I send a framed and matted print over the sea? Assuring it's not damaged in transit? How much would the shipment alone cost? And I'm afraid that customs related problems would also emerge...

So it would be very nice and fine, but it's for you on the other side of the water...
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

I have shipped framed prints overseas, and it is expensive. From my experience, you can also expect 15%-20% of the shipments to arrive damaged.

I would be interested in submitting to both exhibits noted above. However, I am strictly a simple color landscape photographer which does not seem to be a good fit for shy rabbit's contemporary flair.

I do hope that who ever you pick to jury the show, you publish some of his work and his background. Many shows are very vague about the judges other then their names and a very brief bio.

For the jury part would you be sending jpeg files or slides? Or would you have to send actual mounted prints? Any jury fees? I'd hate to go to the trouble of sending framed prints only to be turned down.

Thank you all for your responses.

I want to assure you all that we are serious about doing a large format show at Shy Rabbit Contemporary Arts next summer, whether it overlaps the Conference or perhaps follows the conference later.

We are talking about a show that would encompass at least 5 weekends. The Shy Rabbit gallery is open Thursday through Sunday, 10am to 4pm.

In response to several comments on this thread:

1. Potential exhibitors would submit digital images for the juror. Specifications for sizing will be resolved at a later date. [I know that sometimes the digital image sometimes does not fairly represent the printed image, but it is better than shipping original prints around the country.]

2. It is not our intent to exclude international entries from this show. In fact, being able to claim it as an International Large Format Photography Show would be a real plus for our publicity. However, overseas entries need to consider #3 below.

3. As is typical with exhibitors making submissions to galleries, the exhibitor is responsible for the packing and shipping of their work, including the return costs and packing that is sufficiently sturdy for the return trip.

4. There are other details to be worked out such as entry fees, selection of a juror, etc. We may also decide to invite specific works such as those appearing in the book, or on the forum, or perhaps at the Conference.

At this point we are in the nascent stages of planning, I am going to close off this thread. As things come together further announcements will be forthcoming.
    al

Landscape/Still Life

Al I sent a PM to you I would love to be involved with your venue... Why dont the artist overseas have there prints mounted but not framed shipped that way then pay for a frame to be put on your work by someone who is in the states... I be interested in getting all unframed art work delivered to me but the artist would need to pay for the frames and glass... Then I can hand deliver it or ship it from my location... If the artists dont want to get damage from shipment back to them then why not donate the frames & glass to any local college.... or any other venue that may need them for artist... We did this in 2 exhibits in Japan during a group show I was involved in... The artists who got the frames were able to show there work after all gallery exhibits were done in Japan... Its just a thought but at least it will cut down on damage to artwork...

After a year's hiatus, plans have finally fallen into place at Shy Rabbit for a juried photography show. Please note that it is not exclusive to photography but would include art that is created by light at any stage of the process to include 3D as well as 2D. Use of Liquid Light comes to mind as well as any of the alternative processes.

Mr. Coffee is looking for work that is creative and original. Read the Prospectus carefully. Work that is a cliché will not be considered. Accepted work will be given a 5 week exhibit (May 2 through June 6) at the Shy Rabbit Contempory Gallery in Pagosa Springs, Colorado, plus the best three will be given an expanded show in 2010.

See the following announcement:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call for Submissions

The Contemporary Photograph: A National Juried Exhibition

SHY RABBIT Contemporary Arts is pleased to announce an open call to all Photographers and Artists over the age of 18 to submit work to The Contemporary Photograph: A National Juried Exhibition.

Deadline for Submission: March 20, 2009 (postmark)
    Exhibition Dates: May 2 - June 6, 2009

To download a Prospectus, please visit: http://www.shyrabbit.com/Prospectus.html

The broad theme suggested by The Contemporary Photograph is intended to maximize the range of contemporary expression that may be submitted. This is an open call to all Photographers and Artists using light's radiant energy in order to create images on various capture media, resulting in 2-D, 3-D and/or mixed media work.

Juror, Creative Director of SHY RABBIT and professional Artist, D. Michael Coffee, will select three artists from this exhibition who will be invited to show an expanded body of their work in a special exhibition to be held at SHY RABBIT in mid to late 2010. For more information on
    D. Michael Coffee, please visit: http://www.dmcarts.com

Given the broad theme, Coffee will select those submissions that: demonstrate a non-conventional approach to the photographic process or that utilize conventional techniques to create truly unique and original work; show a desire to create to the threshold; are the most compelling, interesting, and/or well executed; are appropriately and professionally presented; are original in style, and are contemporary/timely in feel or tone.

Coffee will also be looking for enough work in 2 and 3 dimensional mediums to allow for an interesting, varied and balanced installation, in keeping with the high level and broad range of contemporary work that SHY RABBIT has presented in the past.

SHY RABBIT strives to present ongoing exhibitions that invite curiosity and discussion; that keep artists involved and challenged; that create excitement and interest in the arts community and beyond; and that showcase contemporary fine art trends and ideas.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Denise Coffee
    Gallery & Programs Director
    al

As someone out of county? Would you accept large format work of people from OS?

Really, I would love to be involved and would send a framed work to you, if accepted...

Regards,

Len

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

I just may consider doing this. I haven't been in a juried show in ages.

As I read the prospectus this is no longer a large format show nor exclusively even for photography. Maybe we should change the title of this thread so no one is mislead?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"