Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Proposal for a Photo Exhibit.

A Proposal for a Photo Exhibit.

I have been following the Large Format Photo Group Book being published on lulu using forum member's best photos and have been considering the possibilty of presenting a nation-wide, juried, large format exhibit. [Incidently, I have recently attempted to download the free version from lulu, but seem to get caught up in a loop. Can anyone give me better links?]

The success of this book has led me to ask why don't we have more exhibits expressly for large format prints? So I broached the idea with Michael Coffee, one of the principals in an art venue called Shy Rabbit Contemporary Arts located in Pagosa Springs, Colorado (please take a look at our web site, www.shyrabbit.com), that over the past several years has exhibited the works of noted artists from around the country.

My proposal to Shy Rabbit Contemporary Arts is that we do a large format show with photographers nation-wide submitting their best prints. Mr. Coffee was enthused about the idea of presenting an exhibit of fine art photography in the large format tradition. Shy Rabbit offers over 2000 sq ft of gallery space (nearly 250 lineal feet of wall). This could handle an exhibit of approximately 40 to 50 framed and matted prints, depending upon the sizes we would expect to be offered.

I should mention that Michael is very adamant with regard to hanging art respectfully (as you can see by reviewing the web site) and insists on presenting prints with sufficient spacing so that the interpretation of one print is not influenced by adjacent art.

It is our intent that the exhibit would overlap the Large Format Photography Conference 2008 in Ft. Collins. This would accommodate a visit to the gallery for LFers driving from the southwest and include an opportunity to visit for those attendees who will stay a few extra days to photograph in the Four Corners area as well.

Submission requirements would include that the print was created with a LF camera, 4x5 or greater, and framed in black gallery frames with white matte. B&W would be preferred, but color would not be excluded.

The question of an acceptable juror, I would be open to your recommendations. It would be good if we could name one who is not intimately familiar with the work of members here in the forum.

Pagosa Springs is located in southwestern Colorado on US 160, east-west, and US 84 from the south. We are 5 1/2 hours from Denver, 4 hours from Albuquerque, and 1 hour east of Durango, with views of the Continental Divide to the north and east of us.

I would be happy to know how many of you would be in favor this event and would be interested in participating. Personally I am excited about doing this exhibit.
    al

Paul Cocklin

Re: A Proposal for a Large Format Photo Exhibit.

You can download the 9.9 meg pdf (the initial proof copy) at the link below. I'm still hosting it on my site for those who wish to take a look.

http://www.sundownis.com/bookproject/web_lf_book.pdf

Paul Cocklin

oh, and I'd love to participate, but frankly I'm lucky that the photobook didn't require images to be good to get in. I'm not sure that my prints would be up to snuff for hanging on anyone's wall but my own. Still, if you're game, I'm game.

I would be interested in submitting.
    Jerome
    http://www.jeromehawkins.com/

Hmmmmmm....I am never against any exhibits anywhere that give folks a chance to exhibit their work. OTOH, we are going to have 4 exhibits running as part of foto3 in Ft. Collins. One for workshop leaders and presenters, one for Conference participants, one for winners and finalists int he associated contest and finally, the traveling Aperture exhibit of the work of 40 Emerging Photographers.

We started doing an exhibit as part of the View Conference three years ago in Springfield, MA and continued it this year in Louisville. From the point of view of a Conference organizer I cna tell you that it was touch-and-go everytime to get enough work to fill some substantial exhibit space.

Al, why not contact me privately about how you and Michael can work with us in making the participant's exhibit sing?

We will be announcing more about the Conference and planned exhibits shortly.

Stay tuned.

thanks for your interest.

steve simmons

My proposal to Shy Rabbit Contemporary Arts is that we do a large format show with photographers nation-wide...

In the book, there were many non-US photographers. Are they excluded?

Cheers,
    Kumar

I am Interested can you send an email with details?
    We are not moved by things ,but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus
    My Site

The details are being worked out but here is what we know at the moment

there will be an exhibit of the work done by the presenters at the conference

there will be an exhibit of the photo contest winners. The details of this contest will be presented no later than the Jan/Feb issue of View Camera, posted on the VC web site, on the APUG web site by early Jan as well - maybe earlier

there will also be exhibit space for attendees to hang one or two images on a fcfs basis.

These exhibits are always an important part of the conference and we look forward to them.

thanks

steve simmons

So did Al's idea just get assimilated into the LF Conference? Looks like another show hanging in the far corner of the state wouldn't be a problem. Share the love, gentlemen.

I say the more that's shown the better for everyone.