Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whole Plate Photography Column Book Project

Whole Plate Photography Column Book Project

NEW BOOK PROPOSAL: "Contemporary whole plate photography"

Perhaps this is an ambitious and idealistic venture, however I thought I'd bring this idea up to ascertain if there is any interest here in this proposal.

Would any whole plate format photographers [film and/or plate] be interested in doing a world-wide collaboration on a book of whole plate images?

Just looking for a show of interest to see whether it's worthwhile pursuing.

Kind regards,

RJ

Whole Plate Photographers Column
    Last edited by RJ-; 6-Jul-2008 at 21:54.

Re: Whole Plate Photography Column Book Project

Just to put a bug in your ear but a good start might begin here . . . a brief intro as to what whole plate, etc is & why how it differs from traditional film may geneerate more interest. At least you would be gathering some feedback & doing some of the outlining neccessary to writing & publishing?
    If enough people become interested it may boon into a separate section or at least subsection . . .

Many thanks for the comments. I thought it might be useful to add that 'whole plate photographers' do indeed use film. Film is cut to 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches.

With an abundance of historical 'whole plate' holders, the possibility for dry plates and wet plates also opens up, making whole plate format suitable for all kinds of alternative processes. I wonder then if it is confusing to use the term 'whole plate' as a format designation, or whether this contraction instead of 'whole plate format' is indeed confusing?

On the separate issue of the book proposal, we're tentatively working on a theme of 'destruction'; whether that be felled trees; incineration, demolished buildings and ruins. Unfortunately the summer season is possibly the worse season for photographers to set on a project; perhaps we'll all need a little more time then.

Kind regards,

RJ

wfwhitaker

Sounds intriguing, but I'm not too keen on the theme of destruction. There's enough of that in this world. Any possibility of something along a more positive note?

Hi Will,

Many thanks for the thought - I hadn't yet considered how nihilistic a project liike derelict or destroyed buildings and landscape might be intepreted.

I'd love to see a positive body of work included to balance things out. I've realised that the genre of flower photography which I have never had any passion for, suddenly takes on a whole new plate of interest. Did you have a project in mind?

Kind regards,

RJ

RJ and all,

I am very interested in being part of a whole plate group project. I have just finished refurbishing a hundred year old Century whole plate camera and I'm hoping to get a few dry plates coated sometime next week.

Keep in touch with us on this. It's a great idea.

Denise Ross
    http://www.thelightfarm.com/

wfwhitaker

RJ,

I'll give it some consideration, but I don't have a theme suggestion to offer now. Personally I'm not real big on structure, prefering to respond to whatever catches my eye and my whim. But I can see where it might be preferred in this case. I can go with whatever is decided, even "destruction".

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    RJ and all,

I am very interested in being part of a whole plate group project. I have just finished refurbishing a hundred year old Century whole plate camera and I'm hoping to get a few dry plates coated sometime next week.

Keep in touch with us on this. It's a great idea.

Denise Ross
    http://www.thelightfarm.com/
    Yes, I tend to agree with the synopsis presented by this page . . . As generations have passed, we have been brought to the point of dependency upon the advent new technological advancements & large corporate influence has produced the ideology of 'disposable generation'. The idea that anything had been produced as a long term (usable) life span is unfathomable in today's world. One doesn't repair an item, you go out & get a new one . . . which is of course better than the original.
    Hmm . . . better for whom? Well, at least easier => more convenient to use? Digital is faster & easier (than darkroom work) if you are already adapted to the technology but is it better?
    Last edited by Clay Turtle; 26-Jul-2008 at 07:22.

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    Sounds intriguing, but I'm not too keen on the theme of destruction. There's enough of that in this world. Any possibility of something along a more positive note?
    A more positive aspect might be in the after-effects, to look upon the burn areas, one sees the immediate perception of desolation, not seeing the continuation of the life cycle as new growth stimulates new growth that enriched soil & sunlight promote.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Turtle View Post
    Yes, I tend to agree with the synopsis presented by this page . . . As generations have passed, we have been brought to the point of dependency upon the advent new technological advancements & large corporate influence has produced the ideology of 'disposable generation'. The idea that anything had been produced as a long term (usable) life span is unfathomable in today's world. One doesn't repair an item, you go out & get a new one . . . which is of course better than the original.
    Hmm . . . better for whom? Well, at least easier => more convenient to use? Digital is faster & easier (than darkroom work) if you are already adapted to the technology but is it better?
    Hi Clay,

Thank you for your thoughtful words and images (amidst the affective surprise of seeing colour and landscape images on a thread like this ) The consequences of technological advancement also reinforces societal views on technological determinism.

As a newcomer to whole plate photography, I am still wondering whether whole plate format photography has a role or niche in this kind of worldview. In part, the Whole Plate Column project embodies that kind of exploration.

Kind regards,

RJ