Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenswork - what do you think?

Lenswork - what do you think?

Just read these blog thoughts on Lenswork:

http://www.auspiciousdragon.net/photowords/?p=732

4. Lenswork: I know it isn’t just me, because I’ve had private correspondence about this as well, but Lenswork appears to be losing its touch. For me this is crunch time as I have the second subscription renewal reminder. And the answer is ‘no’, I think. Brooks Jensen the podcaster is bewailing the failings of photo businesses, yet BJ the publisher seems to be falling into the very trap that he is warning others against.

I'm starting to agree - (I've looked at the last 4 issues on the newsstands and though nope - not really worth forking out for. It used to be good, but now it does seem rather moribund
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Doug Dolde

Re: Lenswork - what do you think?

The first feature in LW 70 called Wakarimasen left me scratching my head. Brook's own work...I just don't get it.

I started a subscription last year but was bored after the first couple of issues, so I didn't renew.

Sorry, but I totally disagree with all of the above.

Of course, occasionally you will run into a portfolio that doesn't excite as much as others do, but for issue after issue, it's hard to find as outstanding work anywhere else on the news stand and produced and printed so well.

In the latest issue, you may not care for Brooks' work, but Hiroshi Watanabe's portraits of Kabuki actors are a gem and Josef Tornick's portfolio revisiting the Hebrides in homage to Paul Strand is a really interesting project with beautiful images.

Peter Steinhauer's images of Vietnam, Eirik Holmoyvik's Norwegian portfolio, Eugene Johnson's third world portraits, Alan Ross' stuff, Jonathan Moller's images of Guatemala...these are all in the last 6 issues or so, amazing stuff and inspiring beyond words!

Can't please all the people all the time. If you want to see some very different Brooks Jensen photography, he will be one of our portfolios in the next issue of Emulsion. Yeah he has a portfolio of analog work. I think highly of Brooks. He goes the extra mile to help. He kept me sane for a couple of years when I wanted to pull what hair I have left, out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    ...I just don't get it.
    That's what Wakarimasen means. I enjoy abstract photography and I enjoy Lenswork. It's one of only 2 that my wife knows to always renew. But then, I just like looking at other peoples pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    That's what Wakarimasen means. I enjoy abstract photography and I enjoy Lenswork. It's one of only 2 that my wife knows to always renew. Bet then, I just like looking at other peoples pictures.
    Two thumbs up for Lens Work.

Don Bryant

I enjoyed those abstracts too. And apparently I'm in good company.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Two thumbs up for Lens Work.

Don Bryant
    Three thumbs up from me.....

I liked the Jensen abstracts, I thought they were well done. I have few issues or complaints about the magazine, there really are very few like it.