Thread: 2nd cable release socket on Prontor Pro 3

2nd cable release socket on Prontor Pro 3

I picked up a lens in a Prontor Professional 3 shutter. It's got the second shutter release socket to open the shutter. Today i set my cable release on the lock setting in the main socket and put the shutter at the bulb setting to compose the shot. I'd rather not have to attach a second cable release so i'm wondering if there is a small screw-in attachment that's made to be left on the shutter for these shutters.
    Also, my 36" cable release isn't strong enough to trip this shutter but i have no problems on any others up to copal 3, is the Prontor known to be a hard-to-trip shutter?

thanks

vinny

Re: 2nd cable release socket on Prontor Pro 3

Vinny, don't have a # 3 Prontor Pro but do have a # 1 and the cable release i use to trip this shutter has a longer throw. There are several long throw cable releases out there, Gepe is one of them.
    As far as i know there are no other way to keep the shutter open than using the second cable release socket. Prontor made a special cable release with two cables but one button and a switch. With this cable release you can operate the shutter from behind the camera. These cable releases come up ocationally on the auction site.
    Despite this strange design it is a very nice and reliable shutter.

No, There was a long cable release with a controller that you could mount to the back of your camera or hold in your hand. It had 3 settings:
    1 Full open
    Shutter open aperture stopped down
    Closed shutter with aperture at taking aperture ready to take the shot.

yeah I popped $200 for one and the cables broke after a month and Martin hasn't been able to find any replacements...

But it was awesome while it worked.

I just use a short 10-inch release in the bottom or I just use the main release on Bulb to focus.

I have one of those shutters. Put the speed to T like you would a lot of other lenses. I have used the second one but you can't stop down for depth of field preview. It will hold the lens by default wide open.