Thread: Compendium Shade for C-1

Compendium Shade for C-1

Hi all,

I'm looking for a compensium shade for my C-1, and saw a calumet/cambo on ebay. So I was wondering if anyone knows whether it'll work on the c-1. Thanks,

GB

Re: Compendium Shade for C-1

G. You can make a more effective, lighter and more compact lens shade than a compendium. Attached is my article on the barn door shade which appeared in the March/April issue of Photo Techniques. Please take a very close look at the comparison negatives! The difference you see is simply a result of using this shade. The source for the parts is at the end of the article.

Thanks, Robert, excellent article and idea. Do you know whether ltm ships internationally?

LTM is headquartered in France and has distributors all over the world as I understand it. Their US office is in Van Nuys CA, but they also have offices in Canada and Germany. I hope that helps. B&H carries their stuff, btw.

pm sent

Do this barn door solution work better than Cinefoil/Photofoil: http://www.rosco.com/us/video/cinefoil.asp ?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Do this barn door solution work better than Cinefoil/Photofoil: http://www.rosco.com/us/video/cinefoil.asp ?
    You could certainly use cinefoil to make a shade, but it is not in itself a shade. The barndoor shade screws onto the lens and adjusts to block out practically all non-image forming light resulting in negatives with a greater range of density. Many times, non-image forming light comes from areas below and to the sides of the image. The barn door shade is not just a sunshade! It allows you to exclude bright reflective and contrast-damaging culprits like sand and snow and open skies. If you look at the two sample negatives, you will see the difference. The source of the non-image forming light in this example was sand that was below and in front of the camera. The sun was behind the camera.