Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Professional flatbed scanners?

Re: Professional flatbed scanners?

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Agreed. I believe that is what I noted in a previous message?

From the literature the EverSmart Supreme and Select II appears to win on almost every point.

Sandy
    Except one, $45,000 for an ES Supreme versus $20,000 for a IQ3, from the people I spoke to, the extra $25k was not justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    Except one, $45,000 for an ES Supreme versus $20,000 for a IQ3, from the people I spoke to, the extra $25k was not justified.
    If you want the best, what is a $20k difference? I quit counting when the difference is over $10k.

Sandy

If you want the best, what is a $20k difference? I quit counting when the difference is over $10k.Sandy
    ... priceless!!

If you want the best, what is a $20k difference? I quit counting when the difference is over $10k.

Sandy
    I have a fairly unlimited budget but that doesn't mean that I need to spend $25k on differences that will not be apparent. I'd rather spend the money on shooting more images. After talking to Ted I "settled" on a new IQSmart 3.

I have a fairly unlimited budget but that doesn't mean that I need to spend $25k on differences that will not be apparent. I'd rather spend the money on shooting more images. After talking to Ted I "settled" on a new IQSmart 3.
    Good for you.

But the point here is that you appear to be basing your decisions primarily on the advice of someone else.

With all due respect, I am going to make a decision of that type based on my own experience and testing.

Sandy

jetcode

A first pass at a chrome test. 8x10 EPP 720dpi generating a 112M file. I tweaked the contrast levels in the scanner software. It's a little too contrasty for this image. I haven't yet calibrated my scanner monitor. There is no further image processing. The shadows are noisy, noisy, noisy, but are hard to detect at print size. I certainly hope a drum scanner is better. If I had a color negative I'd scan it for testing. I may have one somewhere. I am switching to color negative for the extended range and lower gamma. It's a pleasure having such a nice scanner in the office. I have a backlog of film to scan. Thanks for letting me post these findings in this forum.

Joe

jetcode

Good choice. I hear that is an excellant scanner and it only weighs 99lbs! I paid $5.9k total including shipping for the Cezanne Elite. It may be a bit dated but it appears to be a fairly high quality scanner.

jetcode

Good for you.

But the point here is that you appear to be basing your decisions primarily on the advice of someone else.

With all due respect, I am going to make a decision of that type based on my own experience and testing.

Sandy
    Sandy,

Do you have access to all the different scanners on the market to test with? As far as I can tell there are a lot of decisions made based on the advice of others. Mostly because no one I know has access to every make and model to test with except perhaps a few brokers. I do note that there seems to be some war going on over which one is better. A waste of time and energy in my opinion. Lots to choose from. Pick the one that is best for you. I can't afford $20k for a scanner so I picked the one that works for me. Based on what I've seen so far though I will be careful in scanning transparencies because I'm not convinced the quality is there just yet. I think you are right though concerning negatives. It's still really new to me so it will take time to learn how to optimize an image scan.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    Sandy,
    ...Mostly because no one I know has access to every make and model to test with except perhaps a few brokers....
    Joe
    and our very own Ted Harris!!

Sandy I test everything. I shoot more test film a year than actual real photographs.

I did some preliminary testing, I first tested a friend's Iqsmart 2, compared it to my Imacon 646, and to the many drum scans I have from from scitex, Crosfield, shima seiki, and other drum scanners. I then bought the IQsmart3 and if I didn't like it I would have returned it. It's results have been competitive with my drum scans. I'm sure the current Eversmart models are superior to the IQSmart3, but that difference is small and would not be apparent with the film i shoot or the way I print.

Scott I spoke with Ted regarding my decision. He does have access to a wide range of scanners. He felt that the Eversmarts were not worth the price, at least for my needs. Needless to say if I didn't like the IQ3 I would have returned it.