Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Professional flatbed scanners?

jetcode

Re: Professional flatbed scanners?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky View Post
    'Dave', by Thursby...

http://www.thursby.com/

Works like a charm. Acts like a PC on a PC network, and will transfer the file over a wireless network to the PC. I send my scans directly from the drum scanner to the PC. No intermediary step.

---Michael
    thanks Michael

What are the going prices for scanning 4x5 and 8x10 film with a Cezanne or a Creo Eversmart Pro II or equivalent.

I am trying to work out how many shots I'd have to do before I'd save money.

Thanks,

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    Ted's scanner list should have read

... three scanners, a Microtek 1800f, a Screen Cezanne and a Kodak Creo IQSmart 3.

Ted, you gave me a great idea to solve my media exchange problem between the Apple for scanning and my PC for editing; portable hard disk media. I've been using a DVD for this operation. I still haven't been able to figure out if I can network on my Apple to my toaster (a pair of 300gig drives in a NetGear box that looks like a toaster) which is connected to a wireless DSL router and configured by PC software on each computer. I am going to hire you for consulting in the near future for information on ColorGenius software when I've had some more time to digest it all.

Greg,
    Here's the Genesis link. In fact here are links for Cezanne brokers.

http://www.genesis-equipment.com/home.cfm
    http://www.bob-weber.com/
    http://www.graphicsequipmentmart.com...=details&id=36
    http://www.printerads.com/

there are more links too - google

Genesis scanner inventory appears to be slim at the moment. They may still have a Cezanne in stock shipping from Arizona. A phone call or email is best.

a PDF brochure
    http://www.fujifilm.com.tw/print/inp..._0308_R0-0.pdf
    Thanks a million Joe, Sandy and Ted and Brian too. This has been a wealth of information. That's why I gave this thread 5 stars. I tried to find the Genesis site last night, but Ted had it spelled Gensis which makes it more difficult. This is not going to be a "I have to have by this by the weekend" type purchase. Getting one of these will have to fill a need (scanning negs and tranies) that I honestly don't have at the moment. If the copy film I used back in the '80's was still available, I would have gone the high end scanner route years ago. But instead I am using the technology at hand (a work around if you will) for my work flow. On another thread discussing Traditional Photography has repeaked an old idea for a custom wet lab I had in the '80s. Possibly if a demand for film processing re-merged I will be looking into setting up an auto E-6 processor with high end scanning capabilities. I know for sure that there is basically no demand here in Toledo for large format processing but making a larger net presense is what I need to do. As of date, I easily handle any demand for E-6 with my roll tank and homemade water bath. I learned from starting this business before on two attempts that it's better to have a demand than trying to fill it. Something to ponder.

A special note to Ted: Thanks for your offer, I was being facetious with my comment about Epi and Nikon. Didn't mean for you to rant. After 9:00am is my bed time sometimes people don't get my sarcasism. I am full aware that you get what you pay for. They wouldn't be asking the $$$ if they weren't worth it.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    What are the going prices for scanning 4x5 and 8x10 film with a Cezanne or a Creo Eversmart Pro II or equivalent.

I am trying to work out how many shots I'd have to do before I'd save money.

Thanks,

Asher
    Joe (jetcode) summed it up pretty well. He bought his machine on time that will cost about $200 per month, or the equivelent of 2 high end large format scans. You will have to look honestly what your need truly is verses having one in your spare bedroom. You can make a lot of scans for $6k+.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    Joe (jetcode) summed it up pretty well. He bought his machine on time that will cost about $200 per month, or the equivelent of 2 high end large format scans. You will have to look honestly what your need truly is verses having one in your spare bedroom. You can make a lot of scans for $6k+.
    Greg, I was estimating the cost per month but that truly depends on financial charges and banking institutions. Thank Ted, Sandy, and Brian. They have far more professional experience to offer then I do. I am two steps in front of you and a couple of million steps behind them.

Asher,
    60 scans at $100 a scan covers the cost of the scanner I bought except I get to work with a scan as much as I want until it meets the criteria I am looking for in an image. What's truly nice about have a high resolution scanner is that I may find an image within an image (the real image or one of many) and scan that at a higher resolution. I can also get a scan whenever I want 24/7.

Greg, I was estimating the cost per month but that truly depends on financial charges and banking institutions. Thank Ted, sandy, and Brian. THey have far more professional experience to offer then I do. I am two steps in front of you and a couple of million steps behind them.
    I'm there in line saying thanks too!

Asher,
    60 scans at $100 a scan covers the cost of the scanner I bought except I get to work with a scan as much as I want until it meets the criteria I am looking for in an image. What's truly nice about have a high resolution scanner is that I may find an image within an image (the real image or one of many) and scan that at a higher resolution. I can also get a scan whenever I want 24/7.
    This clarifies things.

Even just 30 scans a year would pay off the scanner in 2 years! Sounds great! Now the question is Eversmart /Pro versus Cezanne.

Asher

jetcode

This clarifies things.

Even just 30 scans a year would pay off the scanner in 2 years! Sounds great! Now the question is Eversmart /Pro versus Cezanne.

Asher
    Asher,

I would think less in 'versus' as in what works for you, what scanner is in better condition, what is the cost difference, etc. I don't think you will be disappointed with either one. I'll be spending some time this weekend ... scanning of course.

Joe

Thumbs up Re: Professional flatbed scanners?

This clarifies things.

Asher
    Yes...this is a very relevent subject. The "average" price to have someone scan this on one of these high end scanners. At the same time, one can even "charge" someone something like $50 for a scan and make money to offset the initial investment...perhaps even making money off it all in the end. Not sure how much time/labor/etc. is involved to give someone the results they are expected at $50 a pop, but I know if it is about 3 hours to do, that's not bad.

But put into perspective the costs of a 5-6K scanner that will yield 60 scansX$100 is a very sufficient point and IMHO, way worth the investment. I mean, think of all the photos one will do in say, the next 5-10 years. Just put in 5 years as an example. I'm sure I'll shoot 500 4X5 shots in 5 years "easily". Of those 500 shots, I would expect to see at least a 20 percent ratio of must have drum scanned/keepers...not to say the others would be a waist, but 20 percent, giving it a super low ratio of top end shots vs. gallery based photos, but not your very best. SO in that 5 year period, you did 100 scans=$10,000.

It's early and I'm redundantly repetitive as usual.

Excellent thread and thanks to everyone and their words.

jetcode

I'm not yet convinced a drum scan is necessary, that is, until I have more time to evaluate real prints from the different films I want to use. The scanner I selected allows me to batch scan as many images as I can get on the bed. I can use the scanner to preview film, scan once, edit once, print forever at different image sizes for different medias. I can scan watercolors and other reflective art which will offset the cost. I save money in shipping costs for outside scans. And I suspect the scan quality is very high for the scanner I selected. What's not to like?

Joe, the scanner you go tis every bit as good as a drum scanner. It cost the same new and performs as well (takes up as much space too as you now know). It outperformed a bunch of drum scanners in the Seybold test.