Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Professional flatbed scanners?

Re: Professional flatbed scanners?

To the group – researching this problem it sounds like if this group doesn't know that no one will – I posted a private query to one of you but that was only yesterday and since then I have had a chance to explore the thread further so – open season –

I have an Eversmart Pro II – refurb from Genesis – they have been helpful but stumped by this problem too – Kodak wants a maintenance contract to even begin discussion – that’s not too likely at this point

To whit – there is an issue of the stitched panels not matching in density – its only off by a little – much more of a problem with color negative than chromes though a light pastel sky sometimes displays the problem

I have recalibrated – dumped and reloaded tables – cleaned everything including the CCD all without solving the problem – it seems less apparent if the scanner is cold – and I am pursuing that further – at times it seemed I could avoid certain areas on the scanner but I am coming to feel its more dependent on the size of the film – ie medium format not such a problem

The G4 hangs often enough and has to have a hard reset and just recently corrupted the OS and had to go to the mac shop for a fixit – possibly the scitex software is corrupt? But everything else seems to work fine

I would suspect either a failing ccd or a software issue but that’s pretty broad –

Any thoughts / cures would be appreciated

On a separate issue noted one post red Canon !Ds M3 – have purchased one – yet to evaluate print output vs film – anyone interested feel free to stay in touch

Thanks in advance

Nye Simmons
    Simmonsphotoarts.com

Have you tried the Yahoo professional scanning group?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Nye,

Sorry, I did not see your personal message until just now. I will just answer here. There is a person on the Yahoo group who was a former Scitex operator and he may be able to help you. His name is William B. Gillooly, and he is known over there as Mr. Bill. You can contact him directly by email through the Yahoo forum. I have his personal email address somewhere but can not locate it right now.

The address for the Yahoo group ishttp://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ScanHi-End/, but you will have to register to use it.

Sandy

jetcode

Not that it solves your problem but Genesis offered me the chance to buy that scanner or another of the same model and I'm glad I bought the Elite. I've had no problems other than learning how to use it.

My advice is to either get the Kodak maintenance contract or another scanner ... Sandy is the resident expert of Scitex scanners.

thanks to all for the leads and the replies

The price and and an extended 6 month warranty were too good to pass up - apart from lots of spotting on 1100% scale cropped to 40x50 I have had no complaints until now - started using color neg to expand dynamic range as a foil to digital - its not a good workflow for a book or even calendar but for a once in lifetime scene its great insurance -

can you tell me more of what to expect from the service contract ? hate to plunk down $1500 to be told they never heard of the problem or that it costs several $k to fix it

thanks

nye

jetcode

Nye ... I have no idea about Kodak's contract ... for my scanner I have not yet entered those waters but if I do I will likely have to go down that road with Screen

How many years can we hold this thread alive? Almost 2 so far
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Quote Originally Posted by soeren View Post
    How many years can we hold this thread alive? Almost 2 so far

More than 14 months passed since the last post in this thread, and now this one by you.

What is the point? Have some type of agenda we should know about?

Sandy King

Well, I appreciated Soeren's unintended(?) bump of this thread. It contains a lot of useful information (at least in the early pages).

Ditto the last.
    And it's 5 years so far....
    Perhaps, a conversation that should be appended versus starting anew...