Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pentax Digital Spotmeter

Re: Pentax Digital Spotmeter

I bought a Pentax Digital, modified by Zone VI, about 6 months ago. It's about as accurate as they come. I also own a Soligor Spot Sensor Ii, and a Sekonic L508. I recently tested all three against a Kodak Gray Card, in the open shade of my front porch. The L508 was set to EV readings, and a one degree spot setting.

Upshot is that all three read virtually the same. The Sekonic provides flexibility for carrying a single meter, and I have what I consider double backup to it.
    Best,
    Dennis

I have 2 Zone VI modified Pentax Digital that I bought new from Zone VI. One I use, one's a backup. Never felt a need for anything else. There must be a reason why they hold their price!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Seriously consider an analogue (needle) Pentax spot meter that has been modified by ZONE VI. Almost always being reasonably priced, probably cause it's not digital. Have had and used mine for many years with 100&% satisfaction. Even once turned down trading it for a newer digital model.
    One of the reasons I went to the digital model was to avoid the needle -- aka, moving parts. The needle was the few problems I have had with Gossen LunaPros, so I went needleless -- except I have a Pentax V as a back-up for the Pentax Digital! LOL!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

The digital model is also smaller. I don't think a needle version would have survived for long the rough and tumble of mtn usage I routinely put them through. I've even lost a couple of em in icy streams, then successfully dedicated them afterwards, like new. Fortunately, snowmelt tends to be quite pure. Mineral-laden desert water or saltwater is pure voodoo.

Digital model #148941....I use it all of the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The digital model is also smaller. I don't think a needle version would have survived for long the rough and tumble of mtn usage I routinely put them through. I've even lost a couple of em in icy streams, then successfully dedicated them afterwards, like new. Fortunately, snowmelt tends to be quite pure. Mineral-laden desert water or saltwater is pure voodoo.
    Mine went into Cascade Creek in Yosemite -- it was it, or the 8x10 on the tripod. Fortunately it fell upstream from where I was standing, so I could grab it before it went too far down stream. Took the battery out and since it was the last shot I was going to take as I headed out of the park, packed it up and headed home. Still works fine.

I dropped not too long after taking this along the creek...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OakCasCr.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Is that another carbon print? The fact you also dunked a meter doesn't make me feel any less stupid; but afterwards I made darn sure the next meter clip on my tripod was foolproof, and not just a hook. I completed that trip via exposure memory, and even all the chromes came out perfect. Hoping to avoid fires next wk. There's a new potential monster moving fast across the canyon from my old place, but most of that smoke will probably siphon over Mammoth Pass into Nevada. And I'm heartbroken about the Eagle Creek fire in Oregon, which has seriously some of the most iconic sections of the Gorge. They caught the punk who threw the cherry bomb into the woods, but nothing will look the same for centuries. I did a big loop hike up Eagle Creek about ten years ago. Afterwards I set up the 8X10 almost right under Latourelle Falls, covered with the Goretex cloth. I popped the lenscap at the last moment. But that shot was premeditated, so I brought along a dessication box. The lens took two weeks in there to clear, but it worked as usual. I carried one on Ranier trips too, and obviously had other lenses along for more sane applications. The shot of the Fall is a real classic and worth the idiocy. A couple years ago a friend dunked a 3K Zeiss MF lens slipping in Picket Creek way back in Kaweah Basin. It was a week back to the truck; but once again my dessication box came to the rescue and saved that expensive lens a formal repair.

This place probably is toast. Taken in the first half of the 90s. Like the one above, a carbon print -- this one 5x7. Multnomah Creek. To keep it on topic -- metered with a stock Pentax Digital Spot meter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FallsMultnomahCr_Carbon.jpg  

Drew Wiley

My oldest meter is held together with electrical tape and has a loose screw visible in the eyepiece. But it still reads correctly. I keep it with the Nikon, since that has its own internal meter if needed. But the Pentax is more accurate. Gosh, I think that thing got dropped off a few minor cliffs over the decades, plus dunked and drenched.