Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adirondacks. oct 6th weekend? anyone?

Re: Adirondacks. oct 6th weekend? anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
    Any further suggestions for NY fall color? I've visited the Adirondacks twice in the fall, but was always confused as to the best locations.
    don, some of the best NY spots for fall colors is in the catskills and the hudson valley. mohonk mountain, and the various NYC reservoirs are a few places that come to mind. PM me if you need further info.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

ooooohhhh! sorry. i can not go. my old friend i have not seen in 15 years is coming to town unexpectedly.......so will will be telling lies and making up stories for the weekend.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

My wife and I went this weekend, hiked Mount Jo (the very steep trail) and Baxter. Colors were only at about 40%. Will be much better this coming weekend.

There was pretty good color around places in the Adirondacks around September 23 (see attachment - McIntyre Range with Colden, Mt. Jo, and Indian Pass). The High Peaks can be tough because many of the deciduous trees grow at the lower elevations, with the higher elevations being more predominantly evergreens. The North facing slopes have more color because they do not get as much direct sunlight and stay cooler. There are also many trees showing color because of stress. They are just giving up and stopping their chlorophyll process so their color is not really an indication of a true fall color event.

If you want to come farther East colors will be absolute peak this weekend in Vermont's Northern Kingdom and New Hampsihre's North Country. We're doing a Fine Foliage Workshop there this weekend. Send me a PM if you want some directions to drop by.

Its been a few years. FYI there is a bar/hotel at Raquett Lake $20 a nite. Old style hotel with common bathroom.

Vermont Foliage

One of the local radio DJ's mentioned this site the other day:

http://www.foliage-vermont.com/foliageinflash.htm

Looks like the Northeast Kingdom and the higher elevations of the Green Mountains will be starting to peak this weekend according the the site...

This is a good site to for New York (other states are available).

http://www.foliagenetwork.com/reports/northeast_us/