Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airport X-rays - opinions

Airport X-rays - opinions

Hello everyone,

There is so much around this and other forums on airport x-ray machines with film transport, I am confused now as to what to do.

I am going to Iceland from Stanstead UK next February, and would love so much to take my 4x5 gear with Readyloads/Quickloads, but fear fogging by the x-ray machines.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or even better, does anyone know what the chances are of getting a request for hand-search at Stanstead airport?

I went to Scotland the other week via Stanstead, and 35mm 100 and 400 iso film went through the take on board camera bag with no ill-effects that I can see. Would sheet film react any differently.

Oh, I will go through Stanstead to Iceland and back, no other airports, so no multiple exposure to the rays.

Am I worrying about nothing?

Lastly, I cannot possible take my huge Gitzo aluminium tripod, and have seen a Manfrotto 055xpro. It is rated at 7KG (my set up is 5Kg), and it looks sturdy enough. any thoughts on the suitability of this tripod?

TIA

Steve

Re: Airport X-rays - opinions

Forget asking for hand searches in the UK, they won't let you full stop. You should be fine with taking it in hand luggage.

I used to use the 55Pro before switching to the CF version, it's a good tripod, shot with it in Iceland as a matter of fact! Make sure you have a good head though it will be more important than with your monster Gitzo.

Search this forum and you'll find several threads about this subject.

Personally I have never experienced any fogging or other damages taking film - including but not limited to Delta 3200 and TMZ - more than once through an airport X-Ray in several European airports (Manchester, Munich, Zurich, Vienna, Naples, Hanover). I have had a hand inspection once with a trolley full of sheet film (it was my first travel with such a large quantity of film), but next time I think I'll spend the time in the airport lounge instead of providing an extra entertainment for the security personnel.

Disclaimer: I solely express my personal opinion on the subject. I deny any damages that will arise from observing and/or ignoring this information.

Best regards, Remigius.

Excellent answer!! Thanks very much. I have E-mailed Stanstead to ask about hand-searches but in the current climate I don't expect a positive response as you say.

Regards

Steve

after a few goes through the hand luggage machines and a few trips you'll not worry any more, just takes a bit of getting used to.

just remember only the hand luggage machines are cool, don't check the film or it'll likely get fried.

i've used my 4x5 on a manfrotto 190 (smallest and lightest) and it's been ok.

At Gatwick Airport (South London)last year I asked for a hand search, it was politely refused.

However afterwards I was approached by a security officer who gave me a leaflet about film safety and hand luggage scanners. We had an interesting conversation, he is a photographer himself and sits on a committee with experts from Ilford, Fuji etc on film safety at airports.

The modern machinery in use at the vast majority of airports for scanning hand luggage has no effect on films, even high speed emulsions, even with multiple exposures.

Ian

I put a roll of Sensia, 100 ISO 35mm, through 20 scans without any visible effects.

I have only asked for a hand inspection once; that time I stopped the TSA employee as he was about to open the slide on a quickload. He then stated that either I let him open it or it had to be x-rayed. So now I don't even bother to ask.

If I have a partially used box that already made one trip and cycle of X-rays, I will try to bring new film on the next trip so the film doesn't get too many cycles. But it probaly wouldn't matter with any First World travel.

I have had fogging going to and from Chicago, but not to UK. I can't afford a possible problem so I never bring film on airplanes anymore. I buy it there and Fed Ex it back or Fed Ex it both ways.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I can't afford a possible problem so I never bring film on airplanes anymore. I buy it there and Fed Ex it back or Fed Ex it both ways.
    Excellent solution, one I would do if I traveled within the country much. Film, especially sheet film is horribly expensive in Australia, and too much hassle to deal with shipping it via FedEx. However, I'm going to look at shipping my film directly from the Sydney to my processor in California via FedEx on this next trip.