Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lugging a monorail with the standards swung flat

lugging a monorail with the standards swung flat

does anybody know something with an 18L x 11H x 4D inch compartment, along with some pockets for a couple lenses, film holders, meter, dark cloth, and so on? i've looked at some of the lowepro backpacks and domke shoulder bags, but none of them would work.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Re: lugging a monorail with the standards swung flat

My Lowepro Omni Trekker is about 17x12.5x4.5" internally...that'd be pretty close to what you're looking for?..... (carries my 5x7" Arca B monorail with 3 standards, spot meter and lenses).
    Carsten
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Great quote Carsten

i haven't seen one of those yet. does it stretch out a bit lengthwise? and how do you pack the rest of the stuff? it doesn't seem to have pockets outside of the main compartment.

Just purchased a Lowepro computrekker aw and it fits my 8x10 Phillips along with a lens perhaps two, plus film holders quite easily. Plus it is not an overly gigantic backpack.

i looked at the computrekker...didn't work out.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

It does strech out a bit, raizans, - not sure whether enough for your needs though.
    The tripod straps to the outside; other acessories, such as filter or the like got into the inner lid pockets. Film holders though, I carry separately in a small bag, unless I just take the 617 Canham back, in which case I only use the w/a bellows and two out of the three standards.... Lenses are on Technika boards as they are smaller than the Arca ones.
    I'd love a marginally bigger pack....but good parts of the Omni trekker are:
    Airline carry-on size (without the tripod I guess); fits snugly into a Pelicase if needed; can be used as carry bag or converted to a backpack. I've had this one for a few years; might not be the current model.

Thanks, Anthony, ....I'm quoting myself I think.....
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Take a look on ebay under Zone VI until one of the white nylon Zone VI bags comes up. May take awhile. It doesn't quite match the measurements (slightly bigger), and isn't technically for a monorail, but what a bag!!! Avoid the older vinyl bag. I've got one of those too and use it only for additional film holders. It stays in the car.

It has six adjustable spaces plus the center for the camera body. Loads of room for meters, lenses, film and filters, plus a net compartment in the top for your dark cloth. Used mine and hiked with it for years and I still love it.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Sorry I'm too late on the auction. I've been working on my own website for the last several hours and just checked back in. The second one, the one that has sold is the nylon bag. Some one got a very good deal on it.

The one in the auction for the camera is the vinyl version.

Too bad you can't see the interior on the photo of the nylon one. You basically have a center region that runs from front to back. It's about 5 inches wide. Each side is organized with movable dividers so you can decide for yourself what size you want to create for each space. Everything is attached by heavy strength Velcro.

The bag is deep enough to stack lenses (caps on) so you can really end up with lots of gear in this one small bag. Typically, I carry the following:

Zone VI camera
    58mm XL
    90mm Caltar
    135mm Nikkor
    210mm Caltar
    Several Cokin P filters and rings
    Honeywell spot meter
    Loupe
    six to ten film holders
    Lens pen
    Bag Bellows
    Dark cloth

The bag has an extremely heavy duty shoulder strap and a waist strap if you want to use it. The strap attachment points could also be used to connect this to a pack frame of some sort.

Hope that helps.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg