Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Focus problem - nd grad filter?

Focus problem - nd grad filter?

I just my film back from the lab from my Labor day weekend shots. The one shot I made with no filters is razor sharp everywhere. However, every shot I made with nd grad filters seems to be generally sharp, but have one spot (roughly 1" square) on the right center of each frame that is out of focus. I don't get it. Could it be the filters? Why is is localized to one spot? Is this a common problem? What can I do about it?

I thought I saw something like this before, but I thought it was insufficient depth of field issue with a front tilt. Looking back on it, maybe it was the same problem. This time I used no tilts at all.

All my equipment is decent quality - Singh-ray filters, schneider 180 lens, toyo AII camera.

Thanks.

Re: Focus problem - nd grad filter?

Filter do, on occasion have bubbles or uneven spots. Check your filters. Lay them flat on a page of printer word. That will make any uneven spots very obvious.
    -Chris

Thanks. I just checked my filters and they look fine. No bubbles or scratches. I haven't used them very much. I'm wondering if it is flare off the combination of 2 filters and the front of the lens.

Any way you could post one of the images?
    -Chris

I don't have a scanner at home that can handle 4x5 film, so I trimmed a section out of one frame and scanned it with my medium format scanner. I scaled it down and sharpened it a bit in Photoshop to make the problem stand out.

Look right above the big rock. You will see a section of the frame that is fuzzy. Any ideas? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Perhaps a water drop on the filter ... ? Bill

That would make sense, except that I was up high above the water - like 50 feet up - where I took the shot. This was taken from the walkway at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park in Big Sur, CA. I don't remember getting anything wet.

I'm wondering if down at the surf there was more mist in the air. It really doesn't look like lens / filter flare.

I have gotten defective filters in the past. The worst one was a new UV filter that made it impossible to get a sharp image. It was not just bad, it was horrible. I would return the filter.

Check the inside of your film holder as well, make sure its clear of any dust or something that could make the film not completely flat.

Hard to say from a small picture like that but it sure looks like something was distorting the optical path. I think I've gotten something similar with waterdrops and a large aperture (on small format but large format has a narrow DOF by nature). Too small an area to be a smudge or a bump on the film.

Are you absolutely sure it isn't a smudge on the scanner?