Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod Carry Weights

Tripod Carry Weights

When a manufacturer suggests a tripod works for weight say up to 17 pounds, or up to 26 pounds can it be relied upon, or is it marketing hype? I am specifically thinking of the latest carbon fiber products.

Re: Tripod Carry Weights

Terry, I think it will vary from one manufacturer to the next. I wouldn't trust it. I usually like to play with the tripod in store (lean on it) and if it feels fairly sturdy I'll research more.

I'd hate to trust a label and then find my prized cameras in pieces!

My experience with Gitzo carbon fiber tripods showed that they can really support the weight that is indicated by the manufacturer, but there are many factors to be considered: the head, the underground (grassy vs. firm rock), wind, focal length used, etc.

My small G1228 (used for hiking) can support a 4x5 camera or a DSLR with a 300mm lens, but on the other hand, even my G1548 beast can get wobbly on grass. With my field camera, I mostly use a G1348 with an Arca Swiss ballhead. Rock solid!

I think those weights should be looked at as the weight the tripod can carry without slipping or collapsing. If you use long lenses on your 6 lb. camera, you might want a tripod rated for significantly more than that (how much more?--depends on the camera and the lens).

Scott Davis

Certain manufacturers (Gitzo, Bogen/Manfrotto) often rate their tripods conservatively (anyone remember the old ads with Lester Bogen sitting on top of one of his tripods?). Others tend to be a bit generous with their ratings. When in doubt, try it out in the safety of a store or in your living room before putting a valued camera on it in the field.

The issue isn't just whether it supports the camera insofar as it prevents it from falling to the ground. The tripod also should ideally be strong enough to keep the camera from vibrating due to shutter vibration, camera vibration, or wind with as much extension as you plan to use.

For instance, the weight of the camera doesn't change if you use the same lens for shooting a landscape or a macro shot, but the macro usually requires a stronger tripod than the landscape (unless you're using strobes and only one pop).

To play it safe, in terms of vibration, I look for a tripod rated to hold approx. twice the weight of camera + head + lens.

I have an Arca Swiss Discovery with bino viewer.T he heaviest lens I use is a 90MM f6.8.
    I am thinking of a Gitzo 2530-has anyone used it with a rail camera? It seems a rail camera, perhaps needs more stability than a field camera?

Terry,

Why would we, Giottos, Berlebach and Linhof tripods, print a figure that is not at least conservative? That also goes for all of the tripods from Manfrotto. Word gets around too quickly to play with numbers that way and there are hundreds, and hundreds of camera stores in the USA that stock these tripods.

It is too easy for any consumer to go to a store and see for themselves how sturdy and strong a tripod is and how conservative or how liberal a distributor/manufacturer is with their specifications.

It is also very easy for anyone going to a show like next months NY show to see all major brands of tripods on one floor at the same time and to go booth to booth to compare them.

Ash has the correct advice. Go check for yourself.

Bob-Why would film manufacturers sell film as 400 ASA when maybe it isn't?
    I have been checking out the tripods in various stores but am unable to bring my camera to really check it out.

Thanks to all of you for the input.