Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wetting agent

wetting agent

I'm trying to improve my developing of APHS litho film, a lot of pages suggest using a wetting agent, as part of the final wash, But no one says what the wetting agent is except a detergent, does any one know what it is?. and can I just use washing up liiquid?

bob

Re: wetting agent

Hi, Bob.

I've always used Kodak's Photo Flo as a final dip and dunk before drying my film. It's not part of the wash water, but rather a final dip that removes the surface tension from the water and allows it to dry without any marks.

There are other alcohol based drying agents out there that work well too. Just read the directions for the right dilution and go for it.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

It is possible to use washing up liquid as almost a last resort - it will break up the surface tension as required but I seem to remember reading something that it has other ingredients which are obviously used in washing dishes which might not be the most beneficial to film washing...

I've used Ilford wetting agent since I went away from washing up liquid - a small bottle will last years as you only need a drop or two in the water - I tend to add it to the last rinse cycle in the Jobo so it gets sloshed around and coats everything.

Bob,
    I've never used litho film but after washing my film (sheet or roll) I rinse it in a dish of de-ionised water before I hang it up to dry. I've done this for a few years now and I've had no problems.
    Pete.

Another vote for Photo-Flo here. Dip and dunk, and into the dryer.

Wetting agent is just a surfactant. The same as that which is used in soap or detergents. In fact I use just a tiny, tiny portion of a drop of dishwashing soap as a wetting agent - not enough to cause bubbles

Edwal makes, or used to make, a wetting agent called LFN. I liked it better than PhotoFlo because it didn't suds up like PhotoFlo tends to do.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I'm having problems with PhotoFlo. Well, I believe I am the problem. I think I'm using a solution too rich, because it gets very soapy and when I dry the negative, it gets stained (I can wipe it off, but I don't like to touch the negative after it's dry).

The bottle says 1 to 200 solution, but I'm having difficulties measuring it (haven't even tried). So, what is the practical approach (1 drop to how much water)?

Also, is mineral water ok for the last dip or it's better to be distilled water?

I consider Kodak's dilution rate to be way too strong. Photo Flo can, and will, make an awful mess on your film if it's too strong. Never, ever, save diluted Photo Flo for re-use. I find that 3 or 4 drops to a quart of water is ample. Use it once and discard it. Mineral water for final rinse???? Never heard of that. It doesn't sound like a good idea. Use distilled water. Don't rinse or squeegee after using Photo Flo, though. Just hang to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Thoreson View Post
    I consider Kodak's dilution rate to be way too strong. Photo Flo can, and will, make an awful mess on your film if it's too strong. Never, ever, save diluted Photo Flo for re-use. I find that 3 or 4 drops to a quart of water is ample. Use it once and discard it. Mineral water for final rinse???? Never heard of that. It doesn't sound like a good idea. Use distilled water. Don't rinse or squeegee after using Photo Flo, though. Just hang to dry.

Thanks for the response... I'll try that next time.

The only chemicals that I re-use are the developer, fixer and hypo. All the others are discarded.

I still have to buy distilled water (what's the best place to get it), I only use mineral (regular aquafina or dasani) in lieu of tap water. The water is way too hard where I live, and I bet the film won't like that hard water.