Thread: Toning Azo Paper

Toning Azo Paper

I do most of my printing on Azo with Amidol, and in general love the look, but I do find Azo has a bit of a green cast, which is not always great for portraits. I find I can neutralize this with a bit of selenium toning, and this is really all I have done with toning this paper in the past.

Nowadays, I am playing Dad the photographer to four-month-old Amelia, who looks great in an 8 X 10 contact print, but prefers to avoid looking greenish. I'd li ke to try some more creative toning with Azo. What might I use to get a delicat e rose hue or other slightly warmer, noticeable but not overwhelming, tone on Az o? I'd be very curious to hear anybody's experiences toning Azo, particularly i n a way that might give a very delicate pink hue to the paper.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

Toning Azo Paper

Here is a warm-tone paper developer.

Gevaert G.262: Water 750ml, Sodium sulfite 7g Hydroquinone 25g, Sodium carbonate, mono 90g Potassium bromide 2g Water to make 1 liter

Can be used straight or diluted up to 1:6. Straight gives a brown tone; dilution gives a red tone.

You could also try POP paper toned in an alkaline gold toner. This gives a purplish rose tone.

Toning Azo Paper

You might want to try Kodak's poly toner. Its a potassium sulfate toner. It gives a reddish brown cast. The down side is that it can make the house smell like rotten eggs.