Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap radio flash triggers and transmitters with LF

Cheap radio flash triggers and transmitters with LF

Has anyone used any of the inexpensive radio transmitter/receivers with LF lens for electronic flash? Any preferences or comments?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Re: Cheap radio flash triggers and transmitters with LF

How do you define "inexpensive?"

PocketWizard seems to be the professional product of choice.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

The Ebay ones? I haven't looked in a while. They tend to have two types. One plugs between the strobe and the outlet. So it draws power from the outlet. The other type uses batteries. When I was looking the general view was the non-battery type worked better. You certainly won't have dead batteries in the receiver. So that was the type I got. They work well if you accept what they are.

Don't expect to use them in vast locations with lots of interference. OTOH they have reasonable range. I want to say 30+ feet.

Last time I glanced at Ebay they seem to have been updated. More channels. Plus who knows what other changes. Considering the price they are worth trying out. The only downside is if you have something like an old Speedotron with household plug sync cord. Then you'll face cobbling together an adapter. OTOH they used to come with both a mini and a phono plug which should fit most strobes I think.

I use mine all the time in little tabletop setups. Got them on ebay. But they are just like the ones from gadget infinity. RD616 I think its called. I have to use a bi-post Paramount cord on my Ilex to pop off a couple of vivitar 283's. I ductape a couple of 283's together and put it behind an umbrella.
    I wouldn't use them outdoors though. I'd rather rig something up with sync cords to be absolutely sure they fire. (or spend $$$$ on good ones)

edit: I use them all the time for tabletops meaning: I use a little digi p&s with an optical slave ductaped (more ductape) to the flash and that triggers the transmitter which triggers off the receiver. I'm starting to use it more for some headshots and 300mm Ektar.

Look in ebay under cameras and photos for the Hawk remote. I just searched under Hawk to find the several that I now own and use.

I bought my first one new in the late 70's and now have seven of them. They usually go for well under $50 on ebay (in fact my last one was under $5). They have a garage door opener type of transmitter fitted for a household blade sync cord that transmits to a small receiver that will either have a direct stereo plug or a female household plug, depending on the model. They are tuned to each other on a radio frequency and additional units can be re-tuned like an old crystal radio set to match each other so that one transmitter can trigger several of the receivers on the same frequency.

In my architectural photography, I often place strobes in "blind" positions where the built in slaves don't read each other. I use monolights and the receivers on one frequency allow all the strobes to fire simultaniously.

I have a local electronics whiz do the retuning of each unit by turning the little screw adjustment inside the wire coil until his instruments show that the frequency matches.

The transmitter takes a nine volt battery and the receiver takes eight AA's, plus the receiver can take an AC adapter if it comes with the ebay sale. These things are very basic, built like a tank, and I've never had one fail unless the batteries died.

I think I've got about $275 in all of my units including the electronic adjustments. Works perfectly with all formats and avoids any wires from the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Look in ebay under cameras and photos for the Hawk remote. I just searched under Hawk to find the several that I now own and use.

I bought my first one new in the late 70's and now have seven of them. They usually go for well under $50 on ebay (in fact my last one was under $5). They have a garage door opener type of transmitter fitted for a household blade sync cord that transmits to a small receiver that will either have a direct stereo plug or a female household plug, depending on the model. They are tuned to each other on a radio frequency and additional units can be re-tuned like an old crystal radio set to match each other so that one transmitter can trigger several of the receivers on the same frequency.

In my architectural photography, I often place strobes in "blind" positions where the built in slaves don't read each other. I use monolights and the receivers on one frequency allow all the strobes to fire simultaniously.

I have a local electronics whiz do the retuning of each unit by turning the little screw adjustment inside the wire coil until his instruments show that the frequency matches.

The transmitter takes a nine volt battery and the receiver takes eight AA's, plus the receiver can take an AC adapter if it comes with the ebay sale. These things are very basic, built like a tank, and I've never had one fail unless the batteries died.

I think I've got about $275 in all of my units including the electronic adjustments. Works perfectly with all formats and avoids any wires from the camera.
    Thanks for the tip about the Hawk product. I'll check it out.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    How do you define "inexpensive?"

PocketWizard seems to be the professional product of choice.
    How do you define inexpensive Walter? Obviously if I were interested in the PW products I would have said so.

Thank you so much,

Don

Hi again, Don.

I just checked ebay and there is one under ebay stores. However, it is listed as buy it now at $39 bucks and doesn't have the transmitter. That's about the high end of what the whole set should go for in my experience. While you could buy a garage door opener transmitter and have them matched, I would avoid it and keep checking ebay until the whole set comes available.

I think I may still have a set of the original instructions tucked away in my archives. If you'll send me either a fax number or your actual email address, I'll try to find it and send off a copy.

Good luck.

Tim

Don

I can't read minds, just ask my wife, so I didn't want to assume you even knew about the PocketWizard.

All you really need is a modified garage door opener. That's what a Hawk Remote is.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html