Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Silver Gelatin has arrived...

Re: Digital Silver Gelatin has arrived...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Strobel View Post
    This is killin me, I just put a full cart of MK in my 4800 and am about to yank it out and dump forty dollars of ink to try this.Sure wish I could get a b&w sample print somewhere.
    I still will still use Mk for art papers -- that is IF I ever print on them again Seriously though, this paper is so cool it may be the only paper I use from here on out...

Don't know where you're located Chris, but if it's anywhere near Los Altos, CA (Silicon Valley), feel free to stop by and take a look!

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

At PMA in Las Vegas this past year, I spoke with Howard Hopwood from Ilford Harman about this paper, which they were working on at the time. He said they started with the baryta base used for MGIV FB, and were working on subbing it so that it would give as close to the same look as possible with inkjet.

Thanks Jack!Probably a little cheaper for me to dump ink than drive from Los Angees to Los Altos I am going to order a sample pack from freestyle to at least get a feel for the surface and texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I still will still use Mk for art papers -- that is IF I ever print on them again Seriously though, this paper is so cool it may be the only paper I use from here on out...

Don't know where you're located Chris, but if it's anywhere near Los Altos, CA (Silicon Valley), feel free to stop by and take a look!

Cheers,

[QUOTE=David A. Goldfarb;271437]He said they started with the baryta base used for MGIV FB, [\QUOTE]
    This could be a great thing to keep the production level of baryta base up.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Strobel View Post
    Thanks Jack!Probably a little cheaper for me to dump ink than drive from Los Angees to Los Altos I am going to order a sample pack from freestyle to at least get a feel for the surface and texture.
    Wise choice I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. FWIW< the Harman page has links to specific profiles, and they are pretty good -- but ubnfortunatley not perfect (at least for the 3800). Enough to get you started with a sample print, but IMO the paper demands a dedicated custom profile for serious work.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Jack, thank you very much!!!

Actually I have always used the Epson Premium Semimatte for our images (it was my favourite paper until Epson Italy stopped importing it ), so now I've a better understanding of how the Harman should look like ...mmmmhhhh, maybe for our new series of images the Epson Semimatte is not the "perfect" media for what we have in mind, but based on what you wrote the Harman is definitely worth a try, thank you again, I'll order an A3 pack from the UK...

Ciao!!
    Marco

Whew, did I get lucky. Went for a latte, popped over to the camera store to see if more Velvia 50 had come in, and they were just unpacking some 8.5 x 11 Gloss FB AL. I'll get a profile made, but first a question. The enclosed documentation specifies to set the print driver media type to "Watercolor Paper Radiant White" for Epson 4800, 7800, and 9800, and yet for the 3800 to use use "Premium Glossy Photo Paper". I would have not expected this much disparity in ink chemistry between the 4/7/9800 and the 3800! Jack, did you use the recommended print driver setting to create your profile? I may have to run the Drycreek printer evaluation profile to figure out what actually is the best print driver setting for this media. When I get a chance I'll also throw up some gamut comaprisons between this media and my favorite Hahnemuhle FineArt Pearl.

Quote Originally Posted by JPlomley View Post
    Whew, did I get lucky. Went for a latte, popped over to the camera store to see if more Velvia 50 had come in, and they were just unpacking some 8.5 x 11 Gloss FB AL. I'll get a profile made, but first a question. The enclosed documentation specifies to set the print driver media type to "Watercolor Paper Radiant White" for Epson 4800, 7800, and 9800, and yet for the 3800 to use use "Premium Glossy Photo Paper". I would have not expected this much disparity in ink chemistry between the 4/7/9800 and the 3800! Jack, did you use the recommended print driver setting to create your profile? I may have to run the Drycreek printer evaluation profile to figure out what actually is the best print driver setting for this media. When I get a chance I'll also throw up some gamut comaprisons between this media and my favorite Hahnemuhle FineArt Pearl.
    Yes, I noticed that too and in fact did use Glossy for my 3800 profile, but as I indicated I also needed to set the paper thickness up to 4 and the platten gap up to "wide" to prevent head strikes. I suspect the use of WCRW on the other x800 printers has to do with feed paths and paper thickness...

FWIW, when you build a profile, you can use prett much any paper choice you want as long as it supports the correct K ink -- usually best however to start with the paper the manufacturer recommends.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Wink Re: Digital Silver Gelatin has arrived...

what developer do you recommend with this paper?
    Robert Oliver

How durable, scratch resistant is this paper?