Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printer suggestions for LF book project

Paul Cocklin

Printer suggestions for LF book project

I just wanted to start a separate thread where everyone can give suggestions or ideas for a website or company that can print our communal large format book. Any and all suggestions are welcome, except those that reference me and any lake...

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Printer suggestions for LF book project

do you have an idea of the number of copies, and the budget?

Paul Cocklin

Excellent question; I don't. Assuming one copy per photographer I think that puts us at around 80 copies;

It would be helpful if people would post here the max amount they'd be willing to pay for a copy, as well as their 'ideal' amount. This will give us some kind of idea as to final pricing.

I had a book printed by mypublisher.com this summer and the quality was pretty good, much better than my lulu experience with their calendars. I had the banding problems and they wouldn't admit to it. They asked for a photo of the problem. I won't use them again for b+w. I think my publisher would be very, very, expensive but their online customer service is good. I've had my book reprinted twice for no charge.

Well if 80 people wanted to spend $100 per, like it would cost from Shared Ink, then we might as well go to a traditional printer (in China, lol) because you can print a helluva nice color coffeetable book for $5-6000 these days. And have 1500 extra copies to remainder for $5 each LOL.

None of this makes any real business sense, it would only work if an angel w deep pockets came along. In which case we'd probably want to back up and look at the entire thing with fresh eyes, perhaps adding more photos but also being more judgemental as to editorial quality (making it in something like an old school "Photo Annual").

The beauty of going with a cheap place like Lulu is that for $30 everyone can get a book in hand and there are no distribution headaches or anyone dealing w other people's money. That is a beautiful thing...

So it is a shame Lulu sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Well if 80 people wanted to spend $100 per, like it would cost from Shared Ink, then we might as well go to a traditional printer (in China, lol) because you can print a helluva nice color coffeetable book for $5-6000 these days. And have 1500 extra copies to remainder for $5 each LOL.

None of this makes any real business sense, it would only work if an angel w deep pockets came along. In which case we'd probably want to back up and look at the entire thing with fresh eyes, perhaps adding more photos but also being more judgemental as to editorial quality (making it in something like an old school "Photo Annual").

The beauty of going with a cheap place like Lulu is that for $30 everyone can get a book in hand and there are no distribution headaches or anyone dealing w other people's money. That is a beautiful thing...

So it is a shame Lulu sucks!
    I can throw in $150 in a month or so if it helps

Hey, wasn't there a link to download the PDF? I can't seem to find it...I wanna see!

Cheers,

Ben

Ben, have a look at the other thread in this section, specifically at this post.
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri Vasina View Post
    Ben, have a look at the other thread in this section, specifically at this post.
    Much appreciated - Looks like I glanced right over it and didn't see it.

Crap - I posted this on another thread, but it's more relevant here:
    If it helps, I'd probably buy one or two copies in the $50 - $60 range for "decent" quality. Perhaps up to $80 - $90 for stellar quality. Wondering if ~$30 is too low of a threshold....

My company was talking about doing some kind of POD project for one of our premiere web sites - I'll try to find out what vendors they were talking about.

--A

Landscape/Still Life

I had an idea on a continuation for the book and that is to have a group show for everyone who submitted photos for this project and not only that but if we could get extra books printed we could sell them to visitors for the gallery show to maybe benefit some good cause thats near and dear too all our hearts...Photography Scholarship? or something similar... I be willing to pay $150 for a excellent quality printed book, but If we are going to pay that much it should be in the true sense of the Coffee Table and be a Hard Bound Book... I would prefer any POD with a good printing reputation... How much gallery space would be needed to host a big group show like this?