Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Update on LF Info Book Project

Re: Update on LF Info Book Project

Try calling or emailing my local printer. I talked with them last week about getting into POD territory. They just got in their indigo press, are full time commercial printers and may be able to at least print out the book. I have no clue about cost, but would gaurantee the quality.

Is it 142 pages (each two sided=net284) or 71 two sided pages (net 142)?

Getting it to a bindery where quantity is king is a different matter, but they can do that as well.
    My guys-COLORTECH:
    951 788-1500
    Owner-Greg Baxter
    estimate@colortechprinting.com

They have an FTP site as well. Tell Greg (owner) I "sent you"...

With all the work you put into it, I would get the best quality you can.

There's also Azusa books (POD) but I've no idea on quality or cost.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Paul Cocklin

Frank has ftp'd both the large book file and the smaller web file to my website, where they can be downloaded by all. The address will follow.

Since I have about a month and a half before I need to head back out to work (long story) I'll be happy to continue to look around for the least expensive/best quality option for printing. I fear that going through any smaller printing co's will necessitate a minimum order so if everyone will bear with me, I think I'll need about a week to look around and see what our options are. In the meantime, feel free to download a copy for your own enjoyment.

I have to say again how thankful we all are to both Frank and Cyrus for getting this project off the ground and making it happen. Frank did a wonderful job with the pdf, and if it hadn't been for Cyrus' prodding, I don't know if we ever would have assembled enough photos to do this.

the web address where you can download the files is

for the websized version (the one I hope most people download)
    triple w dot sundownis dot com slash bookproject slash web_lf_book dot pdf

for the full sized download
    triple w dot sundownis dot com slash bookproject slash secondversion_lf_book dot pdf

Thanks again to Cyrus and Frank, and I will start a new thread soon asking for suggestions with supporting arguments for various types of on demand publishing. Any and all suggestions are obviously greatly appreciated.

Paul

OK we should have PDF hosting thanks to Paul, stay tuned and he will post access info soon.

It may satisfy a lot of people simply to have the smaller screen-level PDF, the images do look nice on screen.

As for converting the book to Blurb or other proprietary layout software, that is fine except the book is nicely laid out in InDesign with type and nicely balanced pages. To convert you need to open each PDF page of the book in Photoshop and resave it as an individual jpg to upload into Blurb (or MyPublisher or Shared Ink or whatever...)

This is a long evening's work... 142 pages.

I suppose it would be an interesting test if 142 of us (or whatever number) all downloaded the large PDF and took a crack at getting a one-off from each of the better print on demand vendors. It would be an interesting comparision, even if they only way we could compare was via online descriptions.

If somebody wants to try it please be my guest.

As for a local printer possibly doing it, I guess we would have to purchase a quantity of say, 100 or so in order to do the job... 100 x $25 = $2500... i dunno if that is possible and frankly I don't want to front the cash myself. Nor would I relish the distribution duties ;-)

But I will ask Matthew's friend about it, as I am curious. And it is 142 pages plus a 4 page cover, each page being a side (71 sheet interior).

Paul Cocklin

hmm, ok, the larger version doesn't seem to work, but that may be my fault. I'll look it over and try and figure out what I'm doing wrong. The smaller file is definitely good to go, though.

Frank, do I need to have Acrobat to open the bigger one, or just the pdf reader?

Paul Cocklin

nevermind, we just posted over each other and you answered my question. Looks like I gotta switch to the Mac. :-)

Wait it is still uploading! it is 202 mb and only half way through!!!

Paul Cocklin

<WARNING> off color comment coming up next...
    ah, I guess that's what my girlfriend means when she says I'm too quick...

Paul Cocklin

okay, the large file is now available for download, for those who want it. See link in post above for the address.

Well, Frank, Cyrus, thank you very much for your work behind the book. IMO it is very well done. I like it a lot. I think it deserves also a printed version, but yes, there is a price limit I would be willing to pay for the book...

Some of the photos are really stunning.

Jiri

Edit: I forgot to thank Paul Conklin for hosting the file so I could see it at all....
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

WOW - that's a great collection of photos. I'd say at least 90&#37; are better than average!

I wish I'd gotten on the ball to get into this wonderful book.