Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Are you in the Homeland Security database?

Re: Are you in the Homeland Security database?

Quote Originally Posted by CG View Post
    I guess that if there's a facility that I really, really, want to photograph from a public road, I'll take the time consuming process of notifying state and local authorities etc and making sure I have the names I talked to so that whan a police car pulls up and starts saying no I can't do this or that, I have his boss's name and number and his boss's boss's name and number too, and a go ahead. But, by that time the light will have changed and...

It makes me feel creepy - knowing that now, nothing is functionally "legal" if someone in authority deems it "suspicious".
    C
    Yes, and that's called a Chilling Effect of your Freedom of Expression. The fact that you have to look over your shoulder or get gov't permission to exercise a right...

"This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs: when he first appears he is a protector" - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Professional courtesy? Wasn't that the reason why snakes don't bite lawyers?
    Good one, never heard that before.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    Yes, and that's called a Chilling Effect of your Freedom of Expression. The fact that you have to look over your shoulder or get gov't permission to exercise a right...
    Yup, and the *only* way to make it go away is to not stand for it. When someone tries to violate your rights by asking for ID, or your film, or for you to leave public property politely (but firmly) decline to comply. When election time rolls around call the campaign offices for the candidates in your area, ask them their position on protection of civil rights and vote for the one that gives you the right answer. Then, check up on how they do in office. If they do something to further erode your rights, call and write and give them an earful. If they do something to protect or restore your rights, call and write and let them know that you're paying attention and you appreciate their efforts. By being active, involved citizens you can restore what's rightfully yours...

The Port Authority has always operated under the Robert Mugabe manual of civil liberties. They were hassling people (read, yours truly) for taking pictures thirty-five years ago. Also you can't eat, drink, sneeze, spit, etc. etc. in the PATH. Check the signs. It would be nice if they applied the same diligence in improving their abominable service, but that will never happen.

NJ Transit has (and AFAIK has always had) a policy against photography on their properties without a permit. I've taken pictures in Hoboken (including with a tripod) and never been questioned, and of course on most of their properties no employees are present to monitor what you're photographing. I suspect the reason for the policy has less to do with homeland security than with the danger posed to a photographer (and perhaps to waiting passengers or passing trains) when shooting near an active railroad.

The MTA proposed banning photography in the subway, but if you recall backed down in the face of overwhelming ridicule.

NJ Transit and the MTA in NY do allow photography now. The Port Authority is the lone holdout.