Thread: New color reversal films?

New color reversal films?

All greetings!
    Who in a rate: whether conducts Kodak development new color reversal films or Ektachrome 100G/GX is a final instance? On site Kodak of the information has not found. I know that Fuji conducts such development but I do not photographing on FUJI on principle.
    Thanks.

Re: New color reversal films?

Kodak E100G and E100GX replaced E100S and E100SW a few years ago. The latest new developments from Kodak were improved Portra colour negative films. At one time there was some indication that E200 might be improved, though that is not sold in 4x5 sizes, only up to medium format roll film.

I still use lots of E100VS in 4x5, always as Readyloads. This is probably my favourite large format film. When I tried E100G and E100GX, they seemed somewhat between the films they replaced; my preference over these two is Fuji Astia 100F, unless I am photographing British Racing Green sportscars (E100G is great for that).

The current Kodak and Fuji transparency film choices are quite good. While I can wish for E200 in Readyloads, I am okay with using it in a rollfilm back on my 4x5.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    I still use lots of E100VS in 4x5, always as Readyloads.
    Thank you. Tell me please what about graininess on this film in comparison with G/GX? And what about its tone-repro curve in comparison with G/GX? I can seen this at Kodak site but I want to hear about your subjective evaluation.
    Thanks.

There is not really any noticeable grain with E100VS. Technically the newer E100G (and GX) have less grain, but it is not something your notice in the film under a 10x loupe, nor on large prints. You would probably need 20x magnification or more to see a grain difference.

Which to me means that choosing between these films should be a matter of colour. If I were photographing Italian sportcars (reds and yellows) I would always choose E100VS over the other films. If I want very good green saturation and rendition, then I would shoot E100G. The E100GX I did not find as useful, though if you want a subdued saturation less than E100VS, you might give that film a try.

Contrast on E100VS is quite high, and a noticeable difference. I like having that high contrast, which to me seems to give colours more visual impact. When I want less contrast, or more muted colours, then I use Fuji Astia 100F, though I suppose Kodak E100G is somewhat close to that (maybe a little more contrast).

I wish I had some examples to share. When you throw all these onto a light table, the E100VS really jumps out. You could overexpose about 1/3 stop, and reduce the saturation and contrast, or you could shoot underrated and have it pull processed, but then I think other film choices work better for those affects.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Thank you!

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Yep, we all very excited. Now question will be of course - how much box of 8x10 would cost.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Yep, we all very excited. Now question will be of course - how much box of 8x10 would cost.
    The announcement says 35mm and Super 8 only.

Maybe they'll bring back Kodak 5L E6 chemistry processing kits, too...