Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do blondes really have more fun? (Camera thread!)

Re: Do blondes really have more fun? (Camera thread!)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Squires View Post
    Very nice looking camera! Let us know your thoughts on how it works.
    Will do Scott. I don't want to repeat all the info in the other Chamionix threads, but I can tell you that it is essentially a copy of a Phillips which I used to own -- and used profusely. Surprisingly, this camera seems to be built every bit as well as Dick's, yet has incorporated a few simple refinements -- I am very impressed with the quality and functional improvements. Like the original, the design of each standard has a few peculiarities you need to learn to work with, but beyond that, this appears to be one sweet little camera for the money.

BTW, this one tips my postage scale at 3 pounds, 1 ounce and is quite rigid.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Thumbs up Re: Do blondes really have more fun? (Camera thread!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Will do Scott. I don't want to repeat all the info in the other Chamionix threads, but I can tell you that it is essentially a copy of a Phillips which I used to own -- and used profusely. Surprisingly, this camera seems to be built every bit as well as Dick's, yet has incorporated a few simple refinements -- I am very impressed with the quality and functional improvements. Like the original, the design of each standard has a few peculiarities you need to learn to work with, but beyond that, this appears to be one sweet little camera for the money.

BTW, this one tips my postage scale at 3 pounds, 1 ounce and is quite rigid.

Cheers,
    That IS sweeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3lbs 1oz...dang...

How much tilting can you get out of it? I like the idea of the threads to mount the front standard or are they for tripod mounting????

Gives me ideas on how I can modify my front standard to have this kind of leverage for swing...

What I find interesting (and will be exploring this concept over the next few weekends) is that they use 2 linear bearings and a leadscrew for focusing with a rear facing knob...I'm thinking something along the lines of a pair of heavy duty full extension ball bearing drawer slides and some 1/4-20 all thread, all of which I have sitting in my junk bin (shelves really, lots of them)

erie

Quote Originally Posted by audioexcels View Post
    That IS sweeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~~~
    How much tilting can you get out of it? I like the idea of the threads to mount the front standard or are they for tripod mounting????
    Yes it is

Axial front tilt is limited only by bellows; base rear tilt is 90 degrees forward and guessing about 20 back -- I can measure it if you need more precise. Those holes on the bed are for different positioning of the front standard for different amounts of total extension -- just like a Phillips. The base has a beefy plate that has two 3/8 tripod mounting holes.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    ...this camera seems to be built every bit as well as Dick's, yet has incorporated a few simple refinements...
    One of those refinements is the sliding guides at the bottom of the front standard to enable rise/fall without inducing tilt (when they're engaged in the upright supports). They do what the turnbutton does on a Phillips, only better; they constrain both forward and back tilt.

Jack, do the inner screws on those guides -- the ones you grasp to slide the guides -- ride in slots underneath the standard? If not, how are the guides constrained so they don't pivot around the other screws when slid towards center, i.e. disengaged from the upright supports' slots? Thanks in advance.

I'm curious what the bigger models are like? Just scaled up or other differences?

What kind of wood is it made from?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    I'm curious what the bigger models are like? Just scaled up or other differences?
    Do a search on eBay for Chamonix. They're actually quite different. Bummer that they don't show how those bigger ones fold in the photos.

The 20x24 is quite impressive!

--A

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Jack, do the inner screws on those guides -- the ones you grasp to slide the guides -- ride in slots underneath the standard? If not, how are the guides constrained so they don't pivot around the other screws when slid towards center, i.e. disengaged from the upright supports' slots? Thanks in advance.
    Hi Sal:

Obviously there is some kind of a slot and key pin because they don't rotate, but it's not easily visible as assembled, so I cannot say for sure how they did it.

FWIW, they use a similar sliding lock for the rear base tilt stops instead of the lever system Dick used.

Jack
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post

Only the 4x5 is hinged like shown in my shots here. The larger cameras use a conventional hinged arm system, similar in size and design to Canham's rear hinge. The base is still Phillips style with lead screw though.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com