This is my first post and I'll start with a confession, I don't use large format cameras. But but.. I just bought a Feisol 3442 tripod and Cb-50D ballhead and whilst researching on the web, this forum seem to have many Feisol users so I hope you can help me out.

Anyways.. I received the 3442, centre column, spikes and CB-50D ballhead this morning. Very excite of course and although it didn't come with any manuals/instructions, everything was quite straight forward to figure out.

I also ordered a monopod CM-1471 for a colleague of mine and inspected the package (like any good friend would ).
There are two questions that I have regarding the tripod since I'm not an experienced user - this is the first tripod and ballhead that I've owned.

1. The carbon fibre legs of the 1471 have the typical carbon fibre weaving whilst the 3442 has a matte finish. On the Feisol website, they have noted they have switched carbon fibre cloth to the matte finish however the matte legs appears almost 'plastic' like. I don't want to stress test it but it appears strong however the lightness gives it a deceptively flimsy feel. On the 1471 - the old weaving and thicker tube makes its appear much stronger.
Is the plastic-like appearance of the legs normal on the 3442. I'm just a little paranoid here that its not actually carbon fibre haha.. sorry

2. The legs rotate when the leg locks are loose so sometimes when I'm locking the legs, i end up rotating the legs and not the lock itself. Maybe I just gotta pay more attention to what I'm turning.

In regards to the ballhead:

1. I find I have to tighten the QR plate to the camera very tightly otherwise it will work its way loose when i use the ballhead.

2. I find it difficult to get a perfect point where it will swivel very easily whilst not flopping. I have a nice position set (when camera is relively upright) but when rotating the camera to almost 90degrees, there was a little 'flop'. The reason this concerns me is I am using a very light lens for testing atm. I'm concerned about heavier lens in the future.

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Dave