Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon Discontinues Production of SOME Large Format Lenses

Fujinon Discontinues Production of SOME Large Format Lenses

Fellow Fujinon Fans,

It is with deep regret that I inform you that Fujinon has recently discontinued production and shipment of SOME of their excellent line of large format optics. Thanks to a fellow photographer from Japan, I have learned that they have ended production of the following lenses:

Fujinon-SW f8.0/90mm shipment ended in August 2006
    Fujinon-T f8.0/300mm shipment ended in August 2006
    Fujinon-CMW f5.6/300mm shipment ended in December 2006
    Fujinon-SWD f5.6/65mm shipment ended in December 2006

With Nikon exiting the large format market a couple years ago, this does not bode well for future LF lens availability. Fuji makes great lenses, and some that are truly unique in the combination of compact size and generous coverage (240mm Fujinon A, 450mm Fujinon C, 600mm Fujinon C, etc.).

I have no idea if they have plans to discontinue any other lenses, but if you've been thinking about buying a Fujinon lens, now might be a good time to act. In addition to insuring yourself of getting a great lens (I LOVE my 240 A and 450 C), you might also help send a message Fuji that there is still a market for these wonderful products.

Kerry

Re: Fujinon Discontinues Production of SOME Large Format Lenses

The randomness of that selection suggests that they may have stopped all production, and those are just the ones for which stock has already been depleted. We'll see.

Anyway, here's official word:

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/lens/oldproducts.html

Considering how cheap the fast 300mm and even 360mm seem to be getting I can only guess a lot more selling of used ones then people buying new ones.

To add to Kerry's comment. If youa re going to send a note to Fuji, make sure you send it to Fuji, Japan. The US and Canadian film folks, while they know about the LF lenses, do not distribute them in North America. The lenses that we get here are brought in directly from Japan.

What an odd situation. A company that has brought back the most popular slide emulsion of all time (Velvia 50), that continues to develop improved high speed film (Provia 400X), and then starts to dissassemble a lens line that supports film in a format that is likely to outlast all other others.

Sad news, but I don't know why anyone is suprised. Considering that the vast majority of commerical shooters who once used LF now shoot digital, there is little market for new lenses produced in the numbers required to be economical for the manufacturer. When you factor in all high quality used lenses that are out there for sale, I am amazed there is a market for any new lenses.

Be interesting to see if this has an effect on prices of used lenses, especially the specific Fujinons listed in the OP.

It has probably been a long time since Fujinon lenses were sold outside Japan, if they ever officially were sold in other countries. Given that Japan might be a limited market, this announcement does not seem too surprising.

Of course that leaves Rodenstock (Linos) and Schneider. Both are making much shorter focal length lenses for medium format digital backs. Schneider also have deals with a few companies designing lenses for P&S cameras. Then there is Cooke, at least willing to consider making some lenses in the future for large format.

My guess is that in the longer term, new large format lenses will become very expensive specialized limited production items. Good thing that there is a large supply of high quality used lenses on the market. I think used lens prices have already gone up in the last two years.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

That is indeed unfortunate. Hopefully Fuji will not retire the line as Nikon did only a short time ago.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

As soon as demand returns for Large Format film lenses, all these companies will rush back into production. They will have to pull their old employees out of retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    As soon as demand returns for Large Format film lenses, all these companies will rush back into production. They will have to pull their old employees out of retirement.
    I would not worry too much about any of this. If there is a demand, someone will produce lenses for LF cameras. Someone in China is probably already thinking about it.

Sandy King