Thread: Xenar 210/4.5 - poor mans Heliar ?

Xenar 210/4.5 - poor mans Heliar ?

I hope the title is not too iritating. I am considering a fast lens with focal length of 210mm mostly for portraits and other wide open stuff -mostly B&W. I have seen a few photos taken with Heliar 210/4.5 and liked the transitin fo sharp focus to out of focus areas. Heliar 210 in a shutter is beyond my range so I was considering how a Xenar would perform. Some users mention that once mounted in shutter with round - shaped aperture - it gives very nice transition from focus to out of focus.

Curretnly I have Caltar 210/6.3 II-E but does not give me what I am looking for (though very good at f/22 for landscapes)

So - what do you think - what are your experiences - and - what could be other possibilities ?

thanks
    Matus

Re: Xenar 210/4.5 - poor mans Heliar ?

I suppose that's a subjective question, but I tried a 210 Xenar and it wasn't to my liking. I now have a 210 Fujinon and a 8.5" Ilex Paragon. Each one has a different image character. The Paragon is a 4.5 like you desire and it has a wonderful image quality. The Ilex shutter has an almost perfectly round diaphragm so OOF areas are very smooth and highlights don't take on weird shapes.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

In general I like Tessar-type lenses like the Xenar; I find their Bokeh pleasing and neutral, although having them in an older shutter with lots of leaves (leafs?) like an Compur, Compound, or Ilex helps quite a bit. I had a 210/3.5 Xenar which was very nice, and my current 240/3.5 is wonderful. So yes, a longer Xenar can make a great portrait lens. They won't produce an exact "Heliar look", but for their price they really can't be beat.

As soon as i can get my hands on a flange for my #3 Compound which has a 210/4.5 Xenar mounted i will make comparison shots with my 210/3.5 Heliar also in a Compund but unfortunately a #4 so i can't swap cells or flange.
    Hope Ole will find a flange when he get's solid ground under his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    Curretnly I have Caltar 210/6.3 II-E but does not give me what I am looking for (though very good at f/22 for landscapes)

I'm curious...what it is about the 210mm Geronar (aka Caltar II-E) that you find unsatisfying?

- Michael -

I will check the Paragon. Would you have some examples with this lense wide open?

- Jason -

I have in mind something like THIS one mounted in older (compur or compund ? ) shutter.

- Brad -

As I said the Geronar is great for landscapes, but 6.8 is a bit too slow and the sharpness at 6.8 is not that great either. I am llloking for a bit softer OOF and stronger contrast/transition between sharp and unsharp parts.
    Matus

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

The Xenar is rather different from the Heliar in terms of rendition of OOF areas: The Xenar was designed to be sharp most of all, and the Heliar was designed to give a smooth transition from sharp to unsharp. In my experience both these lenses fulfill their stated design criteria.

A Symmar is also a nice smooth lens when shot wide open...

So does that make the Symmar a poor mans Heliar? If so does that apply to only the older Symmars or the newer ones?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I don't know the answer to that - all I have are Symmars without letters after, and all new enough to be Plasmats and not Dagors.

I like the look of Symmars at moderately close range.

My only Symmar is a rebadged Orbit. Which I guess makes it's a single coated Symmar-S.