Thread: Multiple format Roll Film Holder for super graphic

Multiple format Roll Film Holder for super graphic

I'm looking for a roll film holder that inserts into a graphlock back (I have a super speed graphic camera) just like a film holder. The roll film holder should support multiple formats (6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 6x12). Does such a thing exist? thanks!

Yes it does. The Sinar Zoom 2 or older Vario (used market) can be set to all the se frame sizes (larger size is only 11,2 cm but still 1x2 ratio with height 5,6 cm). The Zoom 2 can be switched to any size any time with minimal loss of film when you revert to a smaller size. They take both 120 and 220 and are really exceptional professional tools (by their price also-around $2,000 in Euro pe). But their design makes them vulnerable to improper operation (never use force and treat them with care and gentleness and they will serve you for countless years). Repairs are expensive so, if you find a used one, make sure it is guaranteed or can be returned. Compatibility with a Speed Graphic, I don't know. The older Vario had grooves for Graflock backs but the newer Zoom 2 has them no more. A spring back accepting one inch thick inserts should be fine.

Hello Jon,

The back your describing is used on a host of different cameras. You'll first need to decide on the format. 6x7 is popular because you can easily make 4x5 and 8x10 prints without cropping and you get an extra 2 shots, 10 total, if I'm not mistaken, from a 120 roll. I prefer the 6x9 format myself, you have the luxury of cropping, but again, it's just a matter of preference and application.

Now the issue of cost. You'll need to decide how much your willing to spend. Horseman is priced between Linhof and Toyo, Grafic is the least expensive. I've had a 6x9 Grafic for years and have never had any trouble. I respect and admire the engineering of the other units but for a quarter of the price, you can get something that works fine.

There is also a slide unit that allows the back to be positioned away from the standard and comes with it's own ground glass. I love shooting with my 4x5 but must admit there are times when having ten shots in a roll comes in real handy. There are major cost savings that will also more than justify the extra expense of the back. I hope this helps-I'm new to this also. The wealth of information on this site is astronomical, sure makes things allot smoother for all concerned.

Take Care, Albert