Thread: Scanning options

Scanning options

My trusty Agfa Duoscan HiD has just died, so I would welcome suggestions as to what might replace it. I use 4x5, and 6x17 (mainly B&W) - and it seems that the Epson V700 or V750 might meet my requirements. Any other ideas? (I will be using it with an IMac).

- Thanks, David

Re: Scanning options

The V700 or V750M are probably your best bets in the 'prosumer' class of scanners that are available today. The soon-to-be released Microtek M1 should be as good as the Epson's maybe better and maybe not, in any event it will be a marginal difference. Impossible to say more until there is one available for testing.

If you want to up the ante to the $3500 - 6000 range and buy used high-end equipment your options broaden greatly and your quality goes way way way up.

I do have a fairly lightly used Microtek 1800f that is very seldom used if that would be of any interest send me PM but with the shipping it will likely cost you as much or mroe than the Epsons.

If budget allows, an Imacon 343 or older Flextight Photo will do wonders with the 6x17 and the 4x5 in two passes, stitched together. The 6x17 format group forum on Yahoo has some knowledgeable users and some good shooters.

"If you want to up the ante to the $3500 - 6000 range and buy used high-end equipment your options broaden greatly and your quality goes way way way up."

What would you recommend in this price range? I know you like the professional flat beds which I need to learn more about. It's hard to send out a $1,000.00 scanning order rather than put the money toward a scanner.

TIA

The " iqsmart scanners user experiences" thread answered my questions. Thanks!