Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: loupe and multifocus viewfinder advice when wearing glasses?

loupe and multifocus viewfinder advice when wearing glasses?

Hi all,

Newbie advice...
    I just bought an old version Linhof multifocus viewfinder from ebay, to carry around for composition purposes..great device but I cannot see the complete frame for the 90mm focal length as my glasses get in the way...which defeats the purpose of carrying around this thing!!

As I am about to purchase my first loupe for 4x5, I figured a similar problem may also occur, with my glasses getting in the way.

So, any recommendations for a loupe for glass wearers?
    In addition, does the same problem occur with the modern (expensive) version of the Linhof viewfinder for the 75 -90mm view?

Re: loupe and multifocus viewfinder advice when wearing glasses?

Forget the loupe. Calumet makes a great pair of flip down 3X magnifiers that clip onto any pair of glasses. They cost 10 bucks and work great.

Get a focusable loupe so you can use it without glasses. I'm quite nearsighted and use a few different loupes. I like the Schneider 4x best. I don't know how they work, if you're farsighted.

I've used both the old style and new style Linhof finders. I find it helps a bit if your glasses are fairly small and sit closer to your eyeball, and then you can get in closer and see the whole frame. Contact lenses, I suppose, would be the best solution, but I've never cared for contact lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Get a focusable loupe so you can use it without glasses. I'm quite nearsighted and use a few different loupes. I like the Schneider 4x best. I don't know how they work, if you're farsighted.

I've used both the old style and new style Linhof finders. I find it helps a bit if your glasses are fairly small and sit closer to your eyeball, and then you can get in closer and see the whole frame. Contact lenses, I suppose, would be the best solution, but I've never cared for contact lenses.
    Thanks for the advice. Disappointing about the Linhof finders, considering their price, even used.

Re: loupes, I'm not sure what a focusable loupe is? Is the Schneider or the Rodenstock focusable? Does this mean there is some type of diopter, so glasses aren't required?

Yes the Schneider, Rodenstock, Horizon.... loupes are focusable. They have a ring to focus that allow for adjustment that will account for your eye with or without glasses. They perform as a diopter with a plus or minus setting.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Glasses are a necessary evil with LF photography for us old farts. You may need three sets to cover all your needs. What is the big deal about looking directly through the viewfinder wit your glasses pushed up onto your forehead, most of us do it that way?
    Flip-up closeup lenses are a great help.
    Life with LF is not all roses and skittles.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by niubi View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Disappointing about the Linhof finders, considering their price, even used.
    Niubi,

I wear glasses too and use the Linhof multifocal viewfinder. On my (older) model you can unscrew the eyepiece of the viewfinder. Works almost perfect that way!

The image captured on the negative is a triffle wider than as seen through the viewfinder wearing glasses and I have no problem with that since I have the habit of cropping a few millimeters on all sides of the negative when enlarging 4x5.
    Anyway, you compose the image on the groundglass, not with a viewfinder. It's only a helpful gizmo to avoid too much walking with the camera mounted on the tripod.

Greetings,
    G

Quote Originally Posted by Geert View Post
    Anyway, you compose the image on the groundglass, not with a viewfinder. It's only a helpful gizmo to avoid too much walking with the camera mounted on the tripod.

Greetings,
    G
    Well, some of us focus with the rangefinder and compose with the viewfinder when necessary.

I am about to purchase my first loupe for 4x5, I figured a similar problem may also occur, with my glasses getting in the way.

I have to keep my eyeglasses on since I'm suffering from astigmatism. When you do not suffer from astigmatism, yes a focusable loupe will do the job.
    So I had exactly the same dissapointement with the old-style Linhof finder. Geert is right, you can gain something by unscrewing the eyecup (I tried it as well). However I sold mine to a friend who does not suffer from the same visual limitations as me. And yes, I would love to be able to add a pair of visual loupes bought at the local drugstore, but it is a bit difficult to add them on top of my medical glasses
    So to me the question is crucial and of course the best is to try before purchase.

The rule of thumb with glasses on is to select a loupe with an eyepiece of the largest possible diameter.
    A list of loupes that work OK for me with glasses on:
    - the Russian-made Horizon 4x, covering 6x6, not too expensive, mostly pastic, focusable.
    - the nice Peak anastigmatic 1990-4X is superb, all metal, measuring reticle is included, but more useful at home than in the field. Will not allow you to go to the corners of the ground glass (GG), unlike loupes with a sqare base.
    - the Hasselblad reflex finder Rmfx has a wide eyepiece suitable for eyeglasses and a built-in mirror for those who never found any advantange to see the world upside-down in a LF camera ;-) works fine if you add some gaffer tape on the metal parts that could touch your GG. Not focusable.
    - the Rodenstock 4x aspherical loupe is probably one of the best trade-off in terms of performance vs. price. It does not cover 6x6 but 4x is a good power both for 6x9 and 4x5. Focusable.
    - I have briefly tested the 6x aspherical Rodenstock which features an oversized eyepiece, but the prise is oversized as well ;-) 6x is too much even for 6x9. However if you go digital on the 37x49mm format... this is another (controversial and off-topic !) story

Eventually when I am not limited in size and weigth to a single photo rucksack, I use the Arca Swiss binocular viewer, magnification is something like 2X for the 6x9 model. Works fine with eyeglasses on (the designers wear spectacles/eyglasses, they know the problem perfectly). Not focusable but at 2X this is not a real limitation.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I've just had a couple of cataract ops (the last one a week ago) and I'm now totally longsighted (they inserted a 15.5 diopter lens into each eye). Has anybody got any advice?
    Pete.