Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Depressing Statement re Film

Re: Depressing Statement re Film

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_5419 View Post
    I was.....but that's why I can't remember a thing now

Brian - slap! Naughty now. Let bygones be gone. This thread has got enough prozac in it to keep it more edifying for us all.
    As I've already explained elsewhere, I thought my message was so obviously sarcastic that nobody would take it as a serious attempt to summarize this thread. I now see I was wrong since you and at least three others think I was putting down Canadians. That wasn't my intent at all and I've posted public and private messages explaining that and apologizing for not making my effort at humor clearer.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

My suggestion, somewhat facetious, of moving this thread to the Lounge, was in no way a response to Brian's comments. I understood his sarcasm immediately; unfortunately, he followed some pretty bad actors on this thread.

My concern was that the initial ugliness of this thread might repeat.

Good grief, do we have a lot of dramaqueens here; may I suggest cutting down on the caffeine a bit; I thought Brian's little sarcastic statement was selfevident, a little lighthearted fun in an otherwise pretty sour thread...

Well so did I.

Not sure why I come across as humourless

Must be the digital internet format.

Yeah. That's it.

I'm with what Merg, Ben and Rob said.

Some folks here are reading Brian's remarks out of context (which are pretty funny actually).

David Crossley/Crossley Photography.... (from Canada)

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Brian... you have nothing to apologize for your post was very amusing.... Canadian men just have no sense of humor...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Far from picking on Canada, it was intended as a slap at those who in fact did pick on Canda.
    Brian, as I said in my PM in response to your note... "No harm, no foul... no big deal. Thanks again for your note."

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I am 28 years old and all the employess at my place of business are under their mid 30s. We work at a fine art b&w printing lab outside of boston. We often print from 8x10 negs and even have an 11x14 enlarger. Our specialty is traditional printing. We work closely with many well known photographers and still see an abundance of new work from new clients who still prefer traditional methods. All of us here make pictures using film, almost all use view cameras, half of us have 8x10's and one of us even has 11X14. We love using film and really honestly would probably feel lost without it. The topic of film becoming obsolete, no matter how often it comes up, always bums me out as well. I will do whatever I can to ensure it's longevity. Personally I think digital is crap for art purposes. As photographers we should be aware how important the process is to the final product. Art can be about process and when you to far simplify the process the final product will suffer. Going out with my view camera is a meditative activity for me, one that requires patience and discipline. I feel like I NEED film and these other traditional materials. I know many of you feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Brian, as I said in my PM in response to your note... "No harm, no foul... no big deal. Thanks again for your note."

Cheers
    Agreed. My comments had more to do with the trolls in this thread as opposed to Brian.

No worries Brian....we're all AOK up here in Canada.