Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Depressing Statement re Film

Re: Depressing Statement re Film

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro View Post
    Dis you actually read the first few sentences? and if you did, did you understand them?
    Probably not.....

uh huh..... this is typical of you, now that you don't use your other identities you back down and pretend you did not try to make implications. Seems the written english is not something you are very good at or most likely you don't have the balls to say what you mean.

yeah yeah - blah blah blah. When your nonsense statments are questioned it's so predicatble that you turn personal attack.

yaddah yaddah yaddah

what's next - your usual off-line threats?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I'm not even going to touch the anti-Canadian issue ...

Just buy Ilford sheet film, give that company enough business to keep it viable and guess what, they'll stay in business.

I'm slowly moving my film needs away from Kodak who'll probably stop making films because they're share holders demand a better dividend. So screw them.

BUY ILFORD, KEEP THEM IN BUSINESS AND WE"LL HAVE FILM FOR DECADES TO COME !!!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro View Post
    ... And they are not from a color negative, not at 99 cm in size, they are form digital files. So as you say before you post your erudition and make an ass of yourself get your facts straight as well.

Jorge,

please explain to me why they can't be form a colour negative if they are 99cm wide?

Handbags, much?

No point arguing guys, stress on a forum isn't a good outlet!

I have at least two camera shops still stocking traditional paper, and chemicals. About four camera shops stocking film, high street stores stocking film also.

I can get any Ilford product delivered directly to at least one of the camera shops to save a few pennies. I am an hour by train away from any one of the major cities in Southern UK that will have almost anything I could ever wish for.

I won't worry, not until I have to travel two hours to get something basic... and all the camera stores in Swindon stop stocking photo products.

This comes up every so often. When traditional photography becomes completely obsolete (like now, basically) it will decline until some people start supplying for it as a niche industry. Like painting, hand printing, et cetera.

Photography has existed for 160ish years and you can still get oil paint. Don't worry so much.
    -Chris

Remember the paperless office?

Just a fleeting question....I'm sure there are but does anyone know if there's still some studios that use film for cinema??

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    a well respected Canadian LF colour photographer who has worked on projects with the likes of Geoffrey James, Lee Friedlander, Phyllis Lambert etc
    Yes I'm sure he's a great photographer. PHOTOGRAPHER - not Zelda the Prescient Teller of Photography's Future.

Photography didn't replace painting which didn't replace wood-block printing. No reason to assume film will be replaced by digital.

(In fact, I strongly suspect that the digital still photo is dead as we now have the technology to easily record and display moving images instead. The rush to declare film obsolete, digital didn't see its own obsolescence fast approaching.)

I am doing copper plate photogravure, for god's sakes. You can't any more dead than that - and yet, highly prized and in demand with lots of printmaking cottage industries supporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    a bit different, since sculptors don't rely on materials that come from a specialized and expensive manufacturing process. those of us who use film are dependent on film remaining a profitable business. the industry in its current incarnation won't be able to sustain itself if demand gets too much lower; whether or not a cottage industry can rise up to replace it is a matter of speculation.

i don't know why speculation on the fate of an industry becomes such a religious issue. personally i hope film sticks around; if it does vanish i hope it waits until reasonable and affordable (for me at least!) digital alternatives appear.
    Hence the suggestion for plate holders!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    a bit different, since sculptors don't rely on materials that come from a specialized and expensive manufacturing process. those of us who use film are dependent on film remaining a profitable business. the industry in its current incarnation won't be able to sustain itself if demand gets too much lower; whether or not a cottage industry can rise up to replace it is a matter of speculation.

i don't know why speculation on the fate of an industry becomes such a religious issue. personally i hope film sticks around; if it does vanish i hope it waits until reasonable and affordable (for me at least!) digital alternatives appear.
    Worst comes to worst, coat your own plates.