Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 128

Thread: Depressing Statement re Film

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Richard K. Richard K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...
    Posts
    1,461

    Unhappy Depressing Statement re Film

    As a dedicated user of LF film (7x17, 10x12 and soon 6.5x8.5), I found this statement:

    "Photography as we know it is passing into history. As photographic media move rapidly from traditional light sensitive materials and processes to digital systems of capture and printing, the use of photographic films and papers have plunged into an irreversible decline that is quickly headed towards obsolescence."

    on Robert Burley's web site

    http://www.robertburley.com/index.ph...rkness%202006/

    a tad depressing. He documented the demise of the Kodak Canada facilities and is apparently working on a book called " The Disappearance of Darkness"

    Somebody cheer me up quick!!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, California
    Posts
    6,528

    Re: Depressing Statement re Film

    So, you believe everything you read?
    Fiber glass has been around at least since the 40's, but there are still sculptors chipping away at marble and granite.
    Now go buy some plate holders and be happy
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.

  3. #3
    Abuser of God's Sunlight
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    brooklyn, nyc
    Posts
    5,313

    Re: Depressing Statement re Film

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Fiber glass has been around at least since the 40's, but there are still sculptors chipping away at marble and granite.
    Now go buy some plate holders and be happy
    a bit different, since sculptors don't rely on materials that come from a specialized and expensive manufacturing process. those of us who use film are dependent on film remaining a profitable business. the industry in its current incarnation won't be able to sustain itself if demand gets too much lower; whether or not a cottage industry can rise up to replace it is a matter of speculation.

    i don't know why speculation on the fate of an industry becomes such a religious issue. personally i hope film sticks around; if it does vanish i hope it waits until reasonable and affordable (for me at least!) digital alternatives appear.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, California
    Posts
    6,528

    Re: Depressing Statement re Film

    Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    a bit different, since sculptors don't rely on materials that come from a specialized and expensive manufacturing process. those of us who use film are dependent on film remaining a profitable business. the industry in its current incarnation won't be able to sustain itself if demand gets too much lower; whether or not a cottage industry can rise up to replace it is a matter of speculation.

    i don't know why speculation on the fate of an industry becomes such a religious issue. personally i hope film sticks around; if it does vanish i hope it waits until reasonable and affordable (for me at least!) digital alternatives appear.
    Hence the suggestion for plate holders!
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,488

    Re: Depressing Statement re Film

    Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    a bit different, since sculptors don't rely on materials that come from a specialized and expensive manufacturing process. those of us who use film are dependent on film remaining a profitable business. the industry in its current incarnation won't be able to sustain itself if demand gets too much lower; whether or not a cottage industry can rise up to replace it is a matter of speculation.

    i don't know why speculation on the fate of an industry becomes such a religious issue. personally i hope film sticks around; if it does vanish i hope it waits until reasonable and affordable (for me at least!) digital alternatives appear.
    Worst comes to worst, coat your own plates.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    1,910

    Re: Depressing Statement re Film

    OK, lets see if this brightens your day

    Fuji just brought back Velvia!

    sales of sheet film for both Kodak, Fuji and Ilford continue to surprise these companies

    both Kodak and Ilford are taking and filling orders for ULF film!


    In all areas people, in order to get their books published, will write new theories of whatever to cause a stir. IMHO that is what this guy is doing.

    just my 2 cents

    steve simmons

  7. #7
    Robert M Teague
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,415

    Re: Depressing Statement re Film

    Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    OK, lets see if this brightens your day

    Fuji just brought back Velvia!

    sales of sheet film for both Kodak, Fuji and Ilford continue to surprise these companies

    both Kodak and Ilford are taking and filling orders for ULF film!


    In all areas people, in order to get their books published, will write new theories of whatever to cause a stir. IMHO that is what this guy is doing.

    just my 2 cents

    steve simmons
    Personally, I'm not as worried about LF as I am about 35mm. I still prefer 35mm to digital.

    My 2 cents, I don't like this guys work at all - bland, boring ....
    Robert M. Teague
    Kaneohe, Hawaii

    Now on Twitter: roteague
    http://www.visionlandscapes.com

  8. #8
    Rob_5419's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    571

    Re: Depressing Statement re Film

    So who on earth is Robert Burley, other than another opinionated go-with-the-flow writer?

    Richard; white noise. Why listen to it? You're moving into a niche area. Ignorami outside of your niche don't know any better..

  9. #9
    tim atherton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1998
    Posts
    3,712

    Re: Depressing Statement re Film

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_5419 View Post
    So who on earth is Robert Burley, other than another opinionated go-with-the-flow writer?

    Richard; white noise. Why listen to it? You're moving into a niche area. Ignorami outside of your niche don't know any better..
    a well respected Canadian LF colour photographer who has worked on projects with the likes of Geoffrey James, Lee Friedlander, Phyllis Lambert etc
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

    www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,488

    Re: Depressing Statement re Film

    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    a well respected Canadian LF colour photographer who has worked on projects with the likes of Geoffrey James, Lee Friedlander, Phyllis Lambert etc
    Yes I'm sure he's a great photographer. PHOTOGRAPHER - not Zelda the Prescient Teller of Photography's Future.

    Photography didn't replace painting which didn't replace wood-block printing. No reason to assume film will be replaced by digital.

    (In fact, I strongly suspect that the digital still photo is dead as we now have the technology to easily record and display moving images instead. The rush to declare film obsolete, digital didn't see its own obsolescence fast approaching.)

    I am doing copper plate photogravure, for god's sakes. You can't any more dead than that - and yet, highly prized and in demand with lots of printmaking cottage industries supporting it.

Similar Threads

  1. Some observations on old Kodak 4x5 pack film
    By Chauncey Walden in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22-Aug-2007, 21:20
  2. How capital ($) intensive to make color film?
    By bglick in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 18-Jan-2006, 13:28
  3. film is gone
    By robc in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 17-Jan-2006, 18:32
  4. film loading/unloading
    By Barret in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2-Aug-2004, 12:24
  5. Choosing a large format film medium
    By Rory_3532 in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-Oct-2003, 19:40

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •