Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Betterscanning film holder

Betterscanning film holder

Just got my betterscanning film holder (thanks Doug!!) and I loved it!

It took me a while to calibrate the best height adjustment, and in the end, it was really close to the epson height, but the fact that it is adjustable gave me peace of mind.

I made some tests dry scanning and then I went to wet scanning using kami fluid (I think I'm still high from the vapors... wow). I thought it would be more difficult but it was very easy. The only bad thing is that I bought one of the small recipients from mcmaster and it started accumulating some kind of goo at the bottom of it. Unfortunately some small bubles of it went to the glass and I didn't realize. It stained the tranny. I'll buy some cleaning fluid and try to clean it.

The difference in quality is just like night and day. The colors are more vivid and there's almost no noise (I don't use any scanner adjustment). I'll show an example later.

Re: Betterscanning film holder

I agree these units are superb and really help to extract the full potential of flatbed scanners.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

3d Visual Effects artist

the film will be flat now as well I used them for my MF scanning, I have one on the way for my LF negatives.

The only thing I'm concerned is that I know I'm gonna break that nice anti-newton glass sometime...

Now a question... does it make a difference the emulsion side? is it better to face the glass or the mylar? So far I'm mounting it facing the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Padu Merloti View Post
    The only thing I'm concerned is that I know I'm gonna break that nice anti-newton glass sometime...

Now a question... does it make a difference the emulsion side? is it better to face the glass or the mylar? So far I'm mounting it facing the glass.
    A good substitute for anti newton glass is anti-glare glass sold in framing shops.

When scanning with the Betterscanning station I mount the negative with the base facing the clear, non-glare side of the glass, then it is placed in the station so that the film emulsion faces toward the CCD, which runs below the scanner glass.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    A good substitute for anti newton glass is anti-glare glass sold in framing shops.

When scanning with the Betterscanning station I mount the negative with the base facing the clear, non-glare side of the glass, then it is placed in the station so that the film emulsion faces toward the CCD, which runs below the scanner glass.

Sandy King
    Thanks for the glass hint

Ok, I did the same then. It is on their instructions to mount the film on the non-blur side of the glass and with the film on the CCD side of the glass, but they don't mention which side the emulsion should be turned to... and I wonder if that makes a difference or not.

Well, you wet mount the emulsion side, right?

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    Well, you wet mount the emulsion side, right?
    In my procedure, which I think is exactly what Doug recommends, the film is fluid mounted base side to the clear (non anti-newton side) of the glass, then a piece of mylar is fluid mounted over the emulsion side. You rub the fluid out until there are no bubbles trapped between the mylar and emulsion, or the base and glass, and then tape off the mylar around the edges. Wipe off any excess fluid and place the glass in the frame, film on the bottom with the emulsion facing the CCD.

This orientation gives a reverse image, which you flip before scanning if your software allows, or afterwards in Photoshop.

I am using my Betterscanning fluid mount with both an Epson 4990 and with a Scitex EverSmart Pro. Works great with both machines.

Sandy King

So there is nothing in contact with the anti-Newton side of the glass? What is the purpose of the AN glass? Is it just there in case you want to dry scan (with the glass reversed so that the film is in contact with the AN side)?

Thanks,
    Helen

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Bach View Post
    So there is nothing in contact with the anti-Newton side of the glass? What is the purpose of the AN glass? Is it just there in case you want to dry scan (with the glass reversed so that the film is in contact with the AN side)?

Thanks,
    Helen

Some people have observed, Ernst Dinkla for example on the Luminous Landscape forum (quoted by Doug Fisher I believe on his website) , that the use of some type of diffusion between the negative and the light source gives a superior scan with flatbed type scanners. There may also have been some discussion of this on the LF forum, though I am not able to cite the thread at this time.

There must be something to this because the Scitex/Creo/Kodak EverSmart scanners, which are widely considered to be the sharpest flatbed severy made, have an anti-newton glass on top that is pressed down onto the negative or tranny via pressure from the back as you scan.

The concept obviously works, at least as utilized by the EverSmart scanners, because these scanners are extremely sharp.

Sandy King