Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caution re: Fedex Ground

Caution re: Fedex Ground

Just found out the hard way:

Even if you don't check the box that says "deliver without signature," the driver can still choose to deliver the package without obtaining signature.

To make sure a signature is required, you have to pay extra.

Might have lost a nice old shutter because of this.

Landscape/Still Life

Re: Caution re: Fedex Ground

Well FedEx is not the only one who does this, so does UPS... I have heard DHL does it too... I worked for UPS before and most drivers just knock and run... I was not a driver so dont shoot me... paying a few extra bills for the signature required is well worth it... I worked during the thanksgiving/xmas season.... I enjoyed it best and easiest money I ever made... it paid my car payment for 6 months...

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Funny how I have the opposite problem- I get shipments of junk not worth a thing, and the UPS people refuse to leave it outside my door, even if I tell them on the phone (the yellow stickies they leave always say "signature required in person"). The driver simply checks off both boxes for the time to deliver- "will redeliver tomorrow between 10:00 and 2:00 and 2:00 and 5:00" (aren't they required to just check one box?!?) So I cut out of work early the next day, and after hanging around at home all day, the driver actually shows up at 6:45!!! I've tried driving up to south city to pick up pakages in person, but that takes 45 minutes or so each way in traffic, and the weather is so nasty up there; last time I did that, it took them over an hour to find my package! Watch out for those big brown trucks! Ok, enough of an anti-UPS rant...
    Brian Vuillemenot

Same happended to me with a book i had printed. Gone. Thanks Fed Ex.
    I was out of town for 10 days and had my mail held as well. USPS delivered 5 packages, all of which were stolen.

Worst part is they claim they are not responsible for any losses!

From my understanding (well.. at least that is what they told me), Fedex and UPS would not get signatures for residential deliveries. Signatures are required for commercial deliveries. You need to add separate fees for getting signatures on residential deliveries.

I ship and receive a lot of stuff, but not with the crooks at Fed Ex. About 25 years ago I had a package sent to me that Fed Ex claimed I signed for but I never saw it. They showed me the “signature” which was my name forged by someone who had no clue what my signature looked like and they refused to do anything about it. I never knew what happened to the package and haven’t done business with them since.

Jerome

Fedex online shipping page has a confusing set of options. It would appear that if you use Ground service, signature is always required unless you check "Residential address", in which case they switch you to Home service, for which the default is no signature.

Doug Dolde

Just wait until one of your "insured" packages gets damaged by FEDEX. They routinely refuse to pay using the ruse " insufficient packaging "

I'll take FEDEX over UPS any day, if I have a choice. Fedex guys in my area are always on time and wait for the door to open after they knock.

UPS guys never even bother knocking, they simply drop the package at the door and run away - I've watched a UPS guy literally drop a package with a lens in it (and big FRAGILE label on it) from the waist height at my door and run away. He was away before I managed to open the door. Well, at least he came to the door - a neighbour had a box of lightbulbs tossed over the wall into the patio! But when I asked for singature delivery the next time, he didn't even attempt to show up, he simply wrote that the address was incomplete and returned the package to the center, where the local morons couldn't find it for several days. Of course, each time I called they could not tell me anything else then "come and pick it up".