Thread: Appropriate Gitzo Tripod?

Appropriate Gitzo Tripod?

Hello All,

Im interested in acquiring a CF Gitzo tripod for my 4 x 5 Shen-Hao field camera for landscape photography. I would plan to carry it on a backpack for short excursions (probably less than 5 miles round trip) away from the car.

I think I've narrowed the choices down to the GT3530LSV (58.3" fully extended), the GT3540LS (57.5" fully extended), and the GT3540XLS (78" fully extended). I would probably use it with an Acratech Ultimate ballhead (4" tall) and would like the camera GG to be at eye level for most of my landscape shots (I'm about 5'8") without having to bend down. I've seen recent posts regarding the GT3540XLS and it sounds like a great tripod, but I don't know if I need the extra height. I'm also curious about the head on the GT3530LSV - it's for video cameras. Can a ballhead easily be mounted on this tripod?

At first glance, the GT3540LS seems to be the logical choice as it seems to have enough height, weighs the least of all three, and collapses to the smallest height. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill Eisele

Re: Appropriate Gitzo Tripod?

I just put together a new tripod/head combo for my Tachihara 4x5. I went with a Gitzo 2541L and Acratech Ultimate V2. I think it's the cat's meow but I've only had it a week so I can't comment on its durability.

I chose the 2541L based on its height (59.4 in w/o column), weight (3.3 lbs.), and load capacity (26.4 lbs.). Since I do a lot of backpacking the weight is the critical factor. I considered some of the 35 series tripods and decided I didn't need their 40 lbs. capacity.

Cheers,
    Mark

"I'm also curious about the head on the GT3530LSV - it's for video cameras. Can a ballhead easily be mounted on this tripod?"

I assume you're talking about the video bowl rather than a head since there is no specific head that comes with the GT35etc. I don't have the tripod but I did some reading about it and it's my understanding that the video bowl is removable so for still photography you'd remove it and replace it with the flat plate that comes with the tripod. I'm sure a ball head could be used with the flat plate.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

As stated by Brian, the SLV does come with both leveling base and flat plate. Both can be used with your Acratech. The others come only with the flat plate. Your choice would be best for the three reasons you state. And with the G-lock leg locks I think the traditional issues with 4 segments versus 3 are well mitigated. I have a Toyo 4x5AX and like the idea of a 3 series over a 2 series. Not really an issue of weight, but more sail area in any sort of wind or breeze. With any of the new 6X Gitzos, you want to watch rubber feet carefully. Gitzo kindly allows us to change to spikes and over in Naturescapes a number of folks have lost tips because they've come unscrewed. Everything from loctite to silicone caulk being used to keep them in place. Not a negative, just something to be aware of. Great tripods!

Stew

Hi Bill

I guess the reason you are looking for the 3 series is for the height but, in my experience, the 2 series will do quite adequately, even if you have to extend the centre column a bit.

I have recently acquired a GT2530LVL; I find it to be totally sufficient for the weight of an Ebony SV45Te, the levelling centre column allowing me to very quickly adjust for any minor tilt without having to fine-tune the leg lengths. When compared with something like the Manfrotto 055, extending the centre column does not produce the same instability and have not found any significant wobble, even in moderate winds.

Thank you all for your replies. Well, I went with the GT3540LS with a RRS BH-55 ballhead instead of the Acratech. It all just arrived so I haven't had a chance to try it out. I'll post my impressions once I do.

Joanna, thanks for your input on the GT2530LVL. I had tried a Manfrotto center column tripod with the Shen-Hao, but was concerned about the center of gravity being up too high. I was always afraid to step away from the camera/tripod setup.

I'll also keep an eye on those rubber feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    I have recently acquired a GT2530LVL; I find it to be totally sufficient for the weight of an Ebony SV45Te, the levelling centre column allowing me to very quickly adjust for any minor tilt without having to fine-tune the leg lengths.
    Hi Joanna,
    May I ask which tripod head you are using for your Gitzo?

Quote Originally Posted by kalvino67 View Post
    Hi Joanna,
    May I ask which tripod head you are using for your Gitzo?
    After a few false starts, I eventually settled on the Manfrotto 410 geared head; just perfect

Thanks Joanna,

I will check it out.

Cheers,

Barry

I've got the 3540XLS, and it's outstanding. The new leg locks are a joy to work with, not to mention that extra 18" of tripod height - very useful when shooting on a slope.