Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Competency vs. Creativity

Re: Competency vs. Creativity

Creativity, making the ordinary look extraordinary....Weston's pepper, Adams Moonrise.
    Creativity, "seeing" the picture that is there and making it happen....Caponigro's running deer.

Competency, making the ordinary look ordinary and only deemed good because it is ordinary, printed big, or shown with a special technique.... we all know many examples of them....

I'm going to put a twist on Jorge's.
    "Creativity, making the ordinary look extraordinary....Weston's pepper, Adams Moonrise.
    Creativity, "seeing" the picture that is there and making it happen....Caponigro's running deer."

Competency, is being able to take the creative vision, which is what creativity is, and translate it to film or whatever in an effective manner. In other words being able to express yourself in such a way so others can share in your vision.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

[QUOTE=Mark Carney;266461Competency, is being able to take the creative vision, which is what creativity is, and translate it to film or whatever in an effective manner. In other words being able to express yourself in such a way so others can share in your vision.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, good to remember it's not an either/or proposition. Creativity without competence can be a problem (not to mention lack of creativity plus lack of competence).

Competency, making the ordinary look ordinary and only deemed good because it is ordinary, printed big, or shown with a special technique.... we all know many examples of them....
    yep nothing worse than another mundane picture that supposed to be special because it's a Vandyke or a Carbro Print or Pt/pd or such...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

What you are calling "Competency" is simply CRAFT, and "Creativity" is far beyond your ability, or mine, to discuss.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    yep nothing worse than another mundane picture that supposed to be special because it's a Vandyke or a Carbro Print or Pt/pd or such...
    Yeah or pictures of twigs that are supposed to be good because they have an explanation or are a "project"......

there's also a world of difference between creative and novel (as in novelty) although many fail to see the distinction
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    True creativity breaks norms, established traditions and ways of seeing. Adams (as much as I love him) was competent. Weston was truly creative.
    My feeling exactly. It seems many photographers are more interested in the mechanics of the process rather than creating new ways of seeing and expressing themselves. I have several Weston books and the only thing by Adams is his book on the negative.

I have been spending the last 6 months reading books on critical thinking as it pertains to photography, psychology of visual comprehension and art history. After 30+ years doing this thing I feel I have all the technique I can possibly soak in. All I am interested in now is working thru some concepts I have and using the technology I have amassed and techniques I have learned to make it happen. The nuts and bolts side of things now only occupies about 18% of my creative thought process now rather than the 82% it seems many are spending their time on.

Not that there is anything wrong with being a propeller head photograhically speaking as for many that is the essence of their enjoyment.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro View Post
    Yeah or pictures of twigs that are supposed to be good because they have an explanation or are a "project"......
    Oh I don't know, I find this is pretty creative

One can be creative and stay within the bounds of style of the day (or of the past). I see competency more relating to consistency, though one can also type-cast themselves. Producing a continual array of similar images, as in a body of work, can be creative and competent, though some may see it as constricted, or even boring.

Innovation is for those willing to take risks to lead the pack, and show something different from established styles. This is the risk taking realm of creativity, and few will take this path. Without regard to sales potential, the door is open to innovation, yet it is also open to criticism.

As an imaging professional, some clients will want competency and consistency, and place those above creativity. Unfortunately, to remain competitive, one needs to take risks, meaning showing more creative ideas. There is also the too often used term cutting edge, since some images need impact, yet on a professional basis of usage many images need staying power. Getting that balance is what can keep one in business.

The conformist might find some consistency in clients, yet growth might be limited by a lack of risk taking. Too much risk taking can seem like lack of emphasis, or lack of a driven focus. What some might find mundane (dead-pan aesthetic, et al), others might find innovative. Matching audience (or clients) to vision can work in both directions. Anyway, just my opinions.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio