Thread: Mounting Photo's on Wood

Mounting Photo's on Wood

Would any of you be able to give advice or point me in the direction of how I can mount photo's on wood? I would like to mount photo's approx 11x11 inches to wood the same dimensions but by 1.5 inch deep. Then I would like to bevel the edges. I have looked extensively on the net and can find nothing. Please help if you can.

Re: Mounting Photo's on Wood

Decloupage (sp) kits from a craft store...

I just painted a inkjet print on a hunk of sandstone w Marine Urethane as an experiment this afternoon... it seems to be sticking fine.

I am familiar with decoupage. I had a photo that was poster printed so the paper is kind of thick with a resin finish. I gues I could use modge podge and roll on top of it with a brayer to ensure even adhesion. If anyone else has something let me know....thx!

Why not print directly on the wood? Products are available to do that. Or if you can find a big honkin' pannini press I suppose you could dry mount it but I don't know if you'll want to use it for sandwiches afterwards
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Krylon and 3M both make acid-free spray adhesives for artwork that would work well. If this is for short-term display, the naturally acidic nature of wood probably won't matter, but will likely cause staining after a while.

I'd bevel the edges on the wood first, and then trim the print to fit precisely - perhaps after mounting.

Since this sort of mount wouldn't qualify as "archival" to purists, you're free to use whatever techniques might work to preserve it for a similar period of time. If I were doing it, I'd think in terms of first affixing a vapor barrier of some sort (no out-gassing, etc.) to the back of the print, and then affix that to the wood base. That might prevent the natural acids from the wood from affecting the print.

There's a pretty cool service you can get that handles all of this for you.

One of the makers of this product is: http://www.colorplak.com/

They have local shops that perform the work (or ship it to them, I'm not sure). On their main page you can see the different options - the router the edges and make it look darned nice.

I heard they're rated for 10 years of life OUTDOORS without fading. Archival otherwise.

It's priced, I think, pretty well: a 30" x 42" print runs between $160-200, roughly, depending on the style of mounting you want. Much smaller prints are less expensive.

Hope this is helpful,

Russell
    www.russellschutte.com

Last year I made a display box for 4" square pinhole camera contact prints. The box is a grid, 4 cells wide by 3 high, and about 1" deep, made of ash. I used a polyurethane varnish. The contact prints reside in the recesses of each cell, with no protective glass covering. The box hangs on the wall of my living room, and is not subject to direct sunlight. The prints were 'archivally' processed; most were fiber-based, some were RC.

Most of the prints now have a yellowish-looking haze on the outer ~1", that gradually gets fainter to the middle of the print. It looks to me like outgassing of the polyurethane, as Ralph suggested might happen.

It's a valuable lesson to me on the importance of properly framing a print so that it is sealed up from the outside environment, and also to ensure that the materials used have no negative impact on the print (no pun intended).

~Joe