Thread: APO-Symmar versus APO-Sironar-N

APO-Symmar versus APO-Sironar-N

I happen to find myself with two 210mm lenses.

One is a Schneider APO-Symmar (not the L) and one is a Rodenstock APO-Sironar-N (white band).

I can only keep one.

Now, I shoot only black and white and I make prints in the darkroom with the maximum size being 16x20.

Am I going to see a difference between the two?

Also, if you could only keep one, which one would it be? (keep an eye on the classifieds)

thanks.

Re: APO-Symmar versus APO-Sironar-N

Why not go out and decide for yourself and then you tell us which you prefer and why.

I'm working on it right now.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

According to printed stats, the Schneider has an image circle 4mm larger than the Rodenstock. (oh yeah! ).

I've been in a similar position as you, but with a pair of 180mm. The only real reason I picked the Rodenstock over the Schneider was the Rodenstock had a filter size that matched a couple of my other lenses, whereas with the Schneider I would of had to buy all new filters

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

My APO Symmar 210mm also not the L is at f11 +16 sharper then the Sironar N 210mm which I also own at f 22 its not a visible difference anymore.
    I have the Sironar N also because of the smaller back wich fits in my Horsman HF.
    And I have the APO Symmar as spare and for studio shoots up to 1:2 when the APO Macro Sironar 120mm is to short!
    Hope it helps and tell me your findings also, Armin

Personally, I'd keep the Schneider...but, only because their website is better (more informative). I seriously doubt that you or anybody could tell the difference between the two by looking at end results - they're both spectacular lenses.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

When I compared MTF charts of these exact lenses, I chose the Schneider, but the diferences were so slight that I'd be surprised if I could spot them looking at prints.

The charts suggested that the Schneider might be might be sharper at infinity, and the Rodenstock sharper at 1:10. Since I do a lot of landscape type work and no studio work, that pushed me toward the Schneider.

I also got much better service and information from Schneider reps than from Rodenstock reps (at Schneider I got technical guys on the phone who educated me about optics; at Rodenstock I got sales guys who told me to buy Rodenstock).

I used to be loyal to Rodenstock and Kodak. Now that the market is shrinking, I see companies like Schneider and Ilford doing more to support large format film photographers, so my brand preference leans their way.... Not that it matters for existing products, but I like the karma.

Doug Dolde

I have never owned a Schneider Symmar of any kind that was not an outstanding lens. Just sticking with winners and feel no reason to experiment.