Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Fogged" 4x5 as ND filter?

Re: "Fogged" 4x5 as ND filter?

The problem of scattering when using photographic film as a ND filter is lessened when the filter is very close to the film plane. You might even load the filter, emulsion to emulsion, in the film holder. If the filter is exposed to an evenly lit subject with no detail or texture, and developed to a gamma of about 1, it might serve as a center filter.

Helen and Jim are right about the scattering from film based NDs'. As the silver grain size dimensions come within the range of the wavelength of visible light each grain scatters the incoming rays to some degree so the contrast of the image on film will be reduced. Also depending on the size distribution of the grains the blue part of the spectrum will be scattered more than the red part, esp. for fine grain film like techpan. Thus the film ND filter can become slightly reddish and no longer strictly neutral. This can be measured using a visible light spectrophotometer. But maybe its' not too bad for your purpose. An experiment is worth a thousand words. There is a bit more detail in the reference below.

W. Thomas Jr.(Eastman Kodak Co.), "SPSE Handbook of Photographic Science and Engineering", John Wiley and Sons, 1973, See pp. 951 and 952

Quote Originally Posted by poco View Post
    Robert,

"Cheap" is relative to one's means. Besides, worst case is I'll learn something or other by trying it.
    That's if you buy glass filters from the likes of Hoya and B+W. I think Robert was talking about gel ND filters. A lot cheaper and not that big of a burden to use when you're already lugging around a large format setup.

Quote Originally Posted by poco View Post
    Robert,

"Cheap" is relative to one's means. Besides, worst case is I'll learn something or other by trying it.
    Good attitude, the history of photography is riddled with things learned by mistakes. We wouldn't have solarized photographs if Man Ray hadn't accidentally dropped his film on the darkroom floor while the lights were on. On a more mundane level, we wouldn't have Heico if the guy who created it hadn't washed his film in salt water while stationed on a Navy ship. Who knows, maybe you'll come up with images that turn out to be wildly popular, you can call them "Pocographs" and become rich and famous.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

He he.

I was calling my photos Lightleak-o-graphs, but pocographs sounds better.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Bach View Post
    Yep, sounds like it to me as well.

Chris,

Was there any degradation in the darkened parts of the frame with your vignetter, or didn't it matter?

Thanks,
    Helen
    In my tests there were some sharpness problems due to scattering, but the effect was essentially null because the image was too dark to make the call by the time you could notice a loss of detail.
    -Chris