Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5x7 gg spring back for orphan Ansco?

5x7 gg spring back for orphan Ansco?

Couple weeks ago on eBay I won an elderly CP Goerz Dagor Ser. III 210/6.8 in an Ilex No. 3 Universal shutter. It was rather a bargain, possibly because of what it happened to be attached to: a 5x7 Ansco flatbed camera. On the page it looked like a junker; I was buying the lens, not the camera. But yesterday the package arrived -- and it turns out the camera wasn't as bad as it looked. Some wear on the corners, removing the grey paint. One piece of wood in the front standard slightly split, easy enough to repair. Bellows look quite good, one spot taped, but far from worn out. Gear tracks in good shape, all the knobs and other hardware in place and undamaged.

ONE major problem: it doesn't have its original groundglass spring back. The back that is on it is not original; for one thing, it's black, not grey. It sports a 4x5" groundglass Graflex focussing hood; the gg back part is attached by a slidelock, so it won't take 4x5 cutfilm holders. The groundglass has been pencil-ruled with 3x3" and 2.5x3.25" (yep, weird size) frame lines; I suspect the owner had been using some kind of rollfilm back. It's not quite a Graflok back; looks pre-Graflok.

I wonder whether anybody has one of these Ansco 5x7's that they might be parting out? I'm looking for a spring groundglass back in 5x7 or HP for this poor orphan. It's really too good to languish on the shelf; it should be making images. I can't find a model number or ID plate anywhere on the camera. The bottom of the bed is stamped "Made in USA by Ansco" followed with patent numbers. The back frame measures 7 5/8" width by 7 3/4 inch height INSIDE the stepped light trap; outside measurement is 8 1/2 x 8 1/2. I'm only ASSUMING it's 5x7; nothing on the camera proves that. The inside measurement of the bellows at the rear is only 6", but the wood frame just clears 7". The lens is mounted on a 5 3/16" wood lensboard FWIW. The back frame is held to the wood camera body by simple spring clips at the top.

Can anyone help me get this poor orphan back in shape to work?

Re: 5x7 gg spring back for orphan Ansco?

I can't help you get it back in shape, but I can tell you what you have. The back/focus panel is the original "Graflex" back. Modern holders won't fit it. It takes the old style holders with the slot down the sides, and bag mags. This is the back that came on the early Graflex SLRs and was an option on the Speed Graphic. It was superceded by the "Graphic" spring back, and later, the Graflok, or International, back. Keep your eye on the For Sale section. Backs often show up there. In the mean time, you could replace the obsolete Gralex back with a Graphic spring back and make it usable for 4X5. I may have an extra spring back.

Thanks, Glenn. Knowing exactly what one's dealing with is always a help. Interesting that the *entire* 8.5"x8.5" back assembly, all of it presumably Graflex (all the same colour and look), is a perfect fit to just clip onto the Ansco view camera. If it was a Kodak that would seem more natural since Folmer Graflex was all intertwined with Eastman in the early days; I find it hard keeping track of all the different firms that EKCo has owned at one time or another! For all I know they had a go at Ansco, too, before General Aniline and Film took over.

D'you happen to know if there are any other manufacturer's cameras whose backs used the same dimensions and configuration? That is, must I look only for an Ansco, or are there additional possibilities? I'm no expert on these older folding wood flatbeds.

There were a number of cameras that used an interchangeable back of the same dimensions. I can't be more specific, but Kodak and Burke & James would be good bets. I just built a field camera that I used a B&J 5X7 to 4X5 reducing back on. I believe it was 8 1/2 inches square. Good luck with your search.

Well thanks a lot, Glenn. Those were the two that had occurred to me might be strong possibilities. This little old Ansco reminds me quite strongly of the Burke & James 4x5 I had when I was a kid in school. If B&J and Kodak both had the same dims and back system it widens the possibilities greatly. I'll manage something one way or another, I'm sure.

I'm not sure if this will help with your quest or not, but I have a 5x7 Ansco Universal and a B&J 5x7 back.

The 5x7 back is a very close fit for the Ansco, but is about 1/16" shy of the right thickness where the spring clips attach. It could be easily modified to fit.

I believe the back came from a Commercial View and is painted in the battleship gray of the time.

I'm not prepared to let my back go, but there should be plenty out there to be found.

I'm bumping this thread up, because I haven't found a back or otherwise solved the problem. Now I'm finally moved, I can address this more seriously. I REALLY want to get this camera into use again; it's too good to sit around doing nothing. I just bought some 5x7 cutfilm holders to use with it.

ANYBODY have a grey Ansco groundglass spring back they don't need? Or know where I might find one? (Haven't seen one on the 'Bay yet.) Thanks, guys!

Hi, Jeffrey.

There aren't any there now, but I've several of these come up on ebay. They usually aren't in the main listings, but seem to show up most often under the ebay stores that appear just below the current listings.

If you find one that isn't gray, just go to your local Walmart or hardware store and find a can of flat gray spray paint, mask off the important areas and give it a few carefully aimed coats. That should get you in the ball park for color and give you a totally working 5x7 back.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I was in need of a 5x7 Agfa Ansco back but had a heck of a time finding one. I did find a 5x7 sliding back and was able to remove the slider to transplant on the 5x7. These come up occasionally on eBay. Be patient, it tool me quite a while to find one for my camera. If you want a 4x5 back for your Ansco I might have an extra one around here someplace.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have a back that I will sell to you - I'm pretty sure it is an 8x10 to 5x7 reducing back but could be cut to size perhaps.

It's an Agfa/Ansco w/5x7 spring back - no groundglass but clips are there - I'll attach a pic below. The outer dimensions are 11 1/2" square. It has writing on two sections & is in solid shape.

Not looking for a lot - make me an offer

Regards