Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dense edges w tray dev of 8x10s.

Dense edges w tray dev of 8x10s.

Hi all,

Well, I did my first tray processing of 8x10 yesterday. I used 11x14 trays, and followed he method described by Michael and Paula. Temp was a little high, started at 75 and went up from there. No scratches, which I was really nervous about, but the edges on a couple are extra dense. I don't know whether it's from the development or bellows flare, maybe someone knows how to tell the difference. I don't have a scanner, otherwise I'd post examples. The bottom and left edges on a couple of images are denser, and they were longish exposures in full sun, though I did shade the lens throughout w the darkslide. I'll see how it goes next time. If it is from the processing, is it just a metter of keeping the negs in the center of the tray all the time, so as to avoid increased agitation next to the walls of the tray (I turned 180 degrees a couple of times)? What else can cause this? Thanks,

GB

Re: Dense edges w tray dev of 8x10s.

With the shuffle method, I've never had edges overdeveloped. I've had that problem with other methods of developing, but never with shuffling. Maybe others have had different experiences, but I would tend to think your dark edges were caused by exposure in some manner.
    juan

I also have never had denser edges with tray development.

steve simmons

i think bellows flare would show up as sort of foggy extra density. I have had dense edges from tray processing that I know was not bellows flare( 5x7 reduction back on an 8x10 with lens that didnt cover 8x10) This is one reason I switched to tanks and hangers.

David Schaller

I do tray developing of 8x10 negs, two at a time, in 8x10 trays, and have had no extra edge density. I do Pyrocat HD @ 70 degrees, agititate for the first minutes, then every 30 seconds. I found 11x14 too big and sloshy.
    Dave

Increased density due to under (or over) agitation during development is usually evenly spread over all the edges, so I think others are correct in the it probably isn't your development but either a leak or flare.

Thanks all for your answers. Am I right in assuming that I can rule out light leaks if the edges of the film are perfectly clear? Or is there a way for like to get in through the light trap and not leave a trace on the edge?

Also, how would temperature affect faulty agitation technique? I'm starting at 75 deg, and it drifts up from there.

Sounds like bellows flare? Or, perhaps due to nature of long exposure...I have not had the problem you are describing associated with development.

Don't worry about negs in center of tray either. You want to group them in a corner to align them so you can shuffle without scratches. I use a constant shuffling method and do up to 8 at a time.