Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zion NP - Advice Sought

Re: Zion NP - Advice Sought

I have a permit to hike in on the 12th once again

The Subway is one of the best places to make use of hiking poles for balance when scrambling over the rocks. Once you have tried hiking poles you'll always use them for heavy loads and rough terrain.

A lot of people leave from both trail heads at the same time and seem to arrive at the Subway all at once, and if people swim in the small pools they get stirred up and they don't clear up for a long time. It's good to leave early and beat the crowds.

The rock inside the Subway area is very slick and one of my friends fell and popped a hole in his face which required 17 stitches. It was a bizzare fall to say the least and he had just been warning small children to be careful. On my last hike there another freind rolled his ankle badly and it swelled up quickly, but he managed to hike out in a lot of pain.

I find the hike easy and very enjoyable but for people that do not hike a lot, and scramble over wet rocks a lot, I highly recommend using hiking poles (REI Trekker), get an early start and be careful with every single step.

Jeff,
    I haven't spent as much time in Zion as I would have liked but when I was there, I didn't use any warming filters. Had them, just didn't feel the need to use them. Save your warming and such for "post production".

I also live in Las Vegas and no, we no longer have E6 processing in town. I send all of mine to A&I in Los Angeles. http://www.aandi.com/trans.html

One last thing: until October 29th, you cannot drive in the park. You must use the shuttle service. I just wait until after the 29th since I like to be in charge of when I go and how I get around.

RB

Camera Country no longer processes E6. If you are driving to S. Utah from Salt Lake City, there are still several pro labs there including Nichols Photo Lab. Nichols will give you three hour turnaround on E6 at no additional charge as well as push/pull processing at no additional charge.

Terence

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm heading to Zion (and Bryce) in the first week of October. I primarily shoot B&W, and will only be bringing medium format along this time. This is my first trip and is obviously more of a survey/pleasure trip than a serious photo trip. Other than shooting color (which I promise to do a bit of), does anyone have advice on film and filter combos for B&W?

I typically use Ilford FP4 and HP5, but also dabble with SFX, Pan F, Tech Pan and Efke IR. I tend towards higher contrast. I print in a wet darkroom. I also tend towards longer lenses (150mm on 6x6, 240mm on 4x5, etc.), but am assuming I'll be leaning more to my semi-wide angles in the canyons.

Just got 25 scans back, so worked one up really quick and dirty from the Virgin Narrows. I would like to thank everyone for their advice. The trip was a resounding success.

Arca Swiss F-Field
    Rodenstock 135 APO Sironar-S
    8 sec @ f/32.3
    Velvia 50
    Singh Ray Warm Tone Polarizer

Loved Zion so much we booked another week next year and are going to spend another 2 weeks travelling to neigboring areas. LF was definately made for the Southwest.

There is a photo shop in Kanab filled with old camera goodies. He might know who would process E-6.

Just realized that this is a very old thread.

That is a beautiful shot BTW.

Just realized that this is a very old thread.

Yep, I forgot all about it until I got my chromes back yesterday.

Cheers for the feedback. I'd love to see some other pics of Zion. Maybe I should start a "post your Zion pics" thread.