Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alabama Hills - Other Things to Photograph

Alabama Hills - Other Things to Photograph

I'm taking a short trip from Bend, Oregon to the Alabama Hills. I'd like to photograph a few other things that are more or less on the route between Bend and Alabama Hills (Lone Pine, California). Anyone have any suggestions? I know about Mono Lake, Bodie, and Stovepipe Wells and may end up doing one of them but I'd like to know of other things if possible. I've been to Alabama Hills but not coming from Bend so I don't know what else is on that route or no more than maybe two or three hours out of the way.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Re: Alabama Hills - Other Things to Photograph

Buttermilk Hills out of Bishop -- or continuing up the same road to North and South Lakes.

Up the road towards Tioga Pass out of Lee Vining

White Mountains/Bristlecone pines

Lava Beds National Mounument (between Hwys 97 and 139)

Might find something at the end of the road out of Tom's Place on Hwy 395, just north of Bishop.

Have fun!

Vaughn

Stovepipe Wells is quite a distance from the Alabama Hills as it is in the heart of Death Valley. If you are not up for that much of a ride off your course, you might check out Cerro Gordo or the town of Darwin.

Doug Dolde

You won't want to venture into Death Valley at this time of the year....115 or so lately. Even the Alabama Hills will be fairly hot and not nearly as photogenic as when there is snow on the Sierra. If it were me and I was in Bend this time of year I'd head for the Oregon and or Washington coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    If it were me and I was in Bend this time of year I'd head for the Oregon and or Washington coast.

DITTO!
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    You won't want to venture into Death Valley at this time of the year....115 or so lately. Even the Alabama Hills will be fairly hot and not nearly as photogenic as when there is snow on the Sierra. If it were me and I was in Bend this time of year I'd head for the Oregon and or Washington coast.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be

Thanks for the suggestions (and warnings about Death Valley). I go to the Oregon coast three or four times a year, most recently last May, but not usually this time of year, too crowded in the summer.
    Brian Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions (and warnings about Death Valley). I go to the Oregon coast three or four times a year, most recently last May, but not usually this time of year, too crowded in the summer.
    Way too crowded! And that summertime north wind can blow you over! I was along the coast in early July -- rain all day (which was actually nice since I was not photographing), but still crowded!

On the road to Alabama Hills from Lone Pine, the road continues pretty high up into the Sierras -- never been up there, but it would be a place to escape the mid-day heat...photograph in the early morning hours then head up if it gets too hot, then photograph in the Hills again after the sun goes behind the Sierras. I love camping in the Alabama Hills! I hope you will be hitting the full moon!

The creek that runs along the south edge of the Alabama Hills (along the same road out of Lone Pine) is good for a refreshing dip. Earlier this summer, Bodie had the coldest temp in the nation and on the same day, Death Valley had the hottest temp in the nation -- one never knows!

Lava Beds NM will be a bit warm, too -- but if you are interested in a lava tube sort of shot, try Skull Cave (actually a lava tube) -- very large entrance, lots of light coming in, and might be photographically interesting (I got a great shot of the ceiling of the lava tube -- very abstract.) There is permanent ice at the bottom of Skull Cave, but no light down there!

Vaughn

Don't forget mammoth, devils postpile, june lake loop, tuolumne meadows, tioga pass, thebhoover wilderness, tenaya lake, virginia lakes, lake tahoe, virginia city, sonora pass, mt whitney....heck, theres a lot of stuff worth seeing.
    Last edited by John Kasaian; 14-Aug-2007 at 22:04. Reason: oops!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hopelessly Lost

Again, this might be a bit far but Pyramid lake is amazing - just get permission since it is on Native land.

Hollis