Thread: Polaroid backs confusion

Polaroid backs confusion

As part of my first set of LF kit I want a Polaroid back for my 4x5. But there seems to be a lot of different versions so I could someone help me out with my choice?

From Polaroid there are second hand versions of the 545, 545i, 550 and new - the 545 Pro. Will all of these take the current range of Polaroid film or are some limited and roughly what's the difference.

And then there's the Fuji Quickload - am I right in thinking this only works with the Fuji film and not Polaroid, and can you use the Fuji Instant film in the Polaroid back?

finally - what's the pros and cons of Polaroid vs Fuji?

Sorry, so many questions!

Photographer

Re: Polaroid backs confusion

This should be helpful:

http://www.butzi.net/reviews/readyquick.htm

I believe this article is a few years old and may contain some dated information, however, it gives a good overview of the materials and hardware.
    Keith Pitman

545,545i,545Pro: Polaroid 4x5 sheet films
    550, Fuji PA45: Fuji 4x5 Instant Pack Films
    405: The smaller pack films (6xx Polaroid, The smaller Fuji Pack films)

Pros and Cons of Polaroid vs Fuji
    The Fuji stuff is finer grained, more color accurate, but doesn't have the sometimes appealing unpredictability of Polaroid.
    I like them both.

Thanks for the replies.

Having read the article and having a bit of a think about it I'm thinking I'd be better off with a fuji quickload so I can use it for both Fuji instant film and also quickload Provia/Velvia quickload - although I realise that is an expensive film option.

Fuji Instant film doesn't work in the Quickload holder. The Fuji 4x5" instant film is pack film, so it works in a pack film holder (Fuji PA-45 holder), which is different from the 545 series of instant sheet film holders. There is also Fuji and Polaroid 3x4" instant film in packs that works in the Polaroid 405 holder for 4x5" cameras. Fuji doesn't make instant sheet film for the 545 holders.

Quickload works in a Polaroid sheet film holder like the 545s, but film flatness may not be as good as in a Quickload holder.

Just got a Polaroid 550 holder recently. It works fine with the larger Fuji FP100C 4x5 pack film, which is ten (10) shots per pack. The cost is higher than the smaller Fuji instant pack films (or Polaroid pack films), but the capture area is closer to the full 4x5 frame.

If you use a Polaroid 405 back, then you loose almost 1cm on three sides; basically a slightly cropped view of 4x5 films. The benefit of the smaller pack film 405 back is the lower operating cost, and being able to get either Polaroid or Fuji Instant Pack films.

I currently have Polaroid 405 and 550 pack film holders, a Fuji Quickload holder, and a few Kodak Readyload holders. Since the modern versions of these are fairly light, you might consider having a few choices.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Thanks David, I think I see...

So the PA-45 will only work with Fuji instant film - that's its sole purpose in life?

Polaroid use to make pack film (8 or 10 shots per pack) that fit the Polaroid 550 holder, and would work in the Fuji PA-45 holder. I think if you found any of the older Polaroid large pack films, they might be outdated by now, though in theory a refridgerated pack should be good a couple years past expiration date.

Unless you find a good deal on a PA-45 or a Polaroid 550, I don't think it is a good value for a back. Fuji FP100C is nice instant film, though it is also sold in the smaller pack film sizes. There is also a B/W print Fuji pack film that fits in these larger holders, and a somewhat unusual ISO 3000 film.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

If you want to start with one filmholder and you want Polaroid capability (check the price of Polaroid 4x5" sheet film before you decide), then one of the 545 holders would be a good one to start with. It will come in handy no matter what other kinds of holders you use. You can use it with Readyloads and Quickloads to see if you like them, and then get a Quickload or Readyload holder when you've decided, or you may decide to go with traditional filmholders or another option like Grafmatics.

Thanks gordon and David.

I see, the 545 does sound like a good option, how much of a problem is there with the readyload / quickload film not being flat in a 545, is it really a problem?