Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: West Coast Imaging or Calypso?

Re: West Coast Imaging or Calypso?

Well, if you could get to me more than 68 lp/mm (NOT 68 dpi) from a shot made at f22, then now *that's* something worth paying for, but I can see why it would be difficult to explain in words how to do so, since this would involve parallel universes with different physics laws :-)

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    Well, if you could get to me more than 68 lp/mm (NOT 68 dpi) from a shot made at f22, then now *that's* something worth paying for, but I can see why it would be difficult to explain in words how to do so, since this would involve parallel universes with different physics laws :-)
    Ouch.

Doug Dolde

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    Doug,
    I don't want to insult you in any way. However, I think you're crazy to do what you are suggesting. You're going to get stuff you can make an 8x10 with. Further, I don't think you are justified in taking shots at WCI, suggesting they are "resting on their laurels". I know those people and they are worthy of anyone's respect.

You can not compare junky scans, the likes of which you are ordering, with someone who takes care on how they operate a scanner. There are many different scanners and almost everyone on the high end scanner list agrees - over many years - that the most important factor in scanning is not the device, but the operator.

Lenny Eiger
    EigerStudios
    didnt insult but man are you full of shit, if you think 2040dpi, 16 bit 440mb Imacon 949 scans are junk then you deserve to pay wci's inflated prices

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Thanks for the info Paul.
    I will send the same neg to Jainco and elsewhere for a drumscan for a comparison. I intend to print 24x30 so I can possibly save quite a bit if the Creo scans suffice.
    I have a Cezanne Elite coming in the next week because I am tired of having to pay $135 to get a scan or renting an Imacon (2040 limit on LF) by the hour and scurrying to get as many scans as possible.

I also plan on helping fellow photographers and artists who are interested in obtaining quality scans. If you truly need 8000dpi get a drum scan if not there are certainly other options.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    Curious if you know why the optical measurement is in line pairs instead of lines and if a line pair has any special dimensional characteristics.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    if you think 2040dpi, 16 bit 440mb Imacon 949 scans are junk then you deserve to pay wci's inflated prices
    I've had many scans done on a 646 and the next one up, not a 949, nice scans for sure but the 2040dpi limit for 4x5 and 1800dpi limit for 5x7 wasn't helping much in some cases. What's the point of shooting LF if you only get half the film resolution in a scan? I also believe their Dmax specification is a bit inflated. WCI rates are comparable to the $20k Hasselblad wants for their latest offering.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I think 68 lp/mm would really look like crap if that's all you got - imagine printing at 68 dpi - or even double that.
    68 lp/mm and 68 dpi are two completely different measurements, it would seem a qualified scanner operator would know the distinction, I am assuming you simply misstated this.

As someone else said earlier - you get what you pay for.
    Spending lots of money doesn't guarantee high quality results does it.

I've been trying to figure out the best price and quality for mid sized scans of 4x5 chromes for mid size prints as well. I'm new to LF and so please correct me where you think the following assumtions I'm presenting are incorrect.

I think for full resolution 16 bit Aztek drum scans of 4x5's, that Lenny's price of $135 is the best price anywhere.

For great film images that don't need much tweaking an 8 bit scan is good enough and for images that need more than a few simple adjustments, 16 bit files are needed.

Lightjet printers input files should be 304.8 ppi. For Epson printers 360 ppi input files produce slightly better prints than 300 ppi files.

The 16 bit Imacon scans are said to be 440 mb. Just by the numbers 484 mb 16 bit scans are needed for the Lightjet to print a 24x30 inch prints so maybe 440 mb is close enough? For a 360 ppi, 16 bit, Epson print 356 mb are needed for a 20x 24 inch print so these print sizes are theoretically where the Imacons max out for 16 bit scans.

My idea was to get scans made for prints in the 24x 30, 32x 40 size range and for $69 Chromatics will drum scan an 8 bit file that will print a 32x 40” using a Lightjet.

The next step up is the high end flatbeds like the Creo iQ Smart 2 + 3 and the Screens Cezannes which have an optical resolution of 5500 ppi, then at about 7 to 8x magnification it’s probably time to get drum scans made. I haven’t spoken further with Jainco about getting Creo scans done because I need to print on both Epsons and Lightjets and work with 8bit and 16bit files and I can’t seem to nail down a sweet spot in scan file sizes. For 8 bit Aztek drum scans Chromatics in Nashville have great prices but they are not wanting to scan in 16 bit mode.

Maybe 360 ppi is overkill for the Epson’s? It would be great to hear that is true.

I would like to hear about QT’s experience with the scans made in Mumbai. What equipment is used to scan the film, what resolution was possible, 8 bit or 16bit, and the cost.

For 16bit Tango scans Calypso’s prices are very cheap but I have been convinced by the input on these forums, without seeing any scans, that the Aztek scans are higher resolution, but many say the Tango scans are all that is needed.

I put together an Excel spreadsheet with the various 8 bit and 16 bit file sizes needed for the Lightjets and Epsons and there is no simple price point solution, but it’s looking like for 8bit files Chromatic’s Aztek scans are the best choice. For 16 bit I don’t know yet.

Any feedback is welcome. TIA

"The next step up" from the Imacon scans not the Aztek scans

Hi Dave,

I am not sure about the pricing that you have there. My printer for the last 12 3/4 years is Bill Nordstrom, Laser Light Photographics and founder of Ever Color Fine Art. He scans with a Tango and we have for years. I believe that he still has a special price offer for $99 for the scan and the first print (from his Chromira Machine) up to 30" X 40" printed on Fuji Crystal Archive Matt or Glossy Paper.

Here is the link:

http://www.laserlightprintmaker.com/specialoffer.htm

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com