Thread: Stitching on an Imacon

Stitching on an Imacon

I do most of my scanning on a imacon 848 that I rent locally. In most cases the 2040 max res for 4x5 is ok for the 24x30 prints. But I do have a couple of shots that I need to print larger than that. I remember reading on this forum of people scanning 4x5 negs as smaller formats and stitching. Anybody doing that? Details on best way to do it?

Thx

Doug Dolde

Re: Stitching on an Imacon

I have done it with a 6x12 film holder. Just scan in two passes by moving the film to one side then the other then stitch with your favorite stitching program. Flat stitching is usually flawless. Of course this gives you the option to scan at 3200 dpi.

Be careful, the imacon holders can scratch film. Any edge burr on the opening or piece of grit stuck to the rubberized magnetic top will scratch the film badly.

Doug Dolde

Be careful Brian.... don't go for a walk you might fall down and skin your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    I have done it with a 6x12 film holder. Just scan in two passes by moving the film to one side ...
    OK that's what I thought, thx Doug. I was not sure that the scanner would take the film when loaded off center. Now I just hope they have the 6x12 holder.

Good point about scratching the film Brian, gotta check that holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    Be careful Brian.... don't go for a walk you might fall down and skin your knees.
    Doug, some people have valuable negatives and care should be taken to protect them. In doing a 2 pass 4x5 stitch with an Imacon the center of the image area will twice be up against the edge of the opening and will also have pressure applied to it by the magnetic top flap which can press any bit of grit or dirt into the film. Why would you think it appropriate to post a sarcastic reply to a legitimate warning about possible damage to one's film?