Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: West Coast Imaging or Calypso?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    103

    West Coast Imaging or Calypso?

    Before I deal with LF scans, I'm considering having a number of 6x7 cm Velvia slides Tango drum scanned.

    I have no experience with either, but I've read good things about both. There's a considerable price difference in scan prices between the two.

    Anyone ever compared scan results of these two labs?

  2. #2

    Re: West Coast Imaging or Calypso?

    http://www.jaincotech.com/
    seems to be the best price/performance that I've found. I've had scans from WCi and like Jaincotech scans as much or better.... and they are a lot cheaper. They have an Creo iqsmart3 for 8x10's and if you ask I'm sure they do your 6x7's on it. You can see how this scanner compares the Tango on the scanner comparison page on this site. It's way better than the Imacons that they advertise using.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,952

    Re: West Coast Imaging or Calypso?

    Quote Originally Posted by paul stimac View Post
    http://www.jaincotech.com/
    seems to be the best price/performance that I've found. I've had scans from WCi and like Jaincotech scans as much or better.... and they are a lot cheaper. They have an Creo iqsmart3 for 8x10's and if you ask I'm sure they do your 6x7's on it. You can see how this scanner compares the Tango on the scanner comparison page on this site. It's way better than the Imacons that they advertise using.
    Paul, would you know what they charge for a 4x5 scan on the Creo?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    El Portal, CA (Yosemite)
    Posts
    111

    Re: West Coast Imaging or Calypso?

    If you send yours to West Coast Imaging, Jeff Grandy, who is represented by the Ansel Adams Gallery will probably scan your film. I just stopped by yesterday - it's a real personable place with lots of talent.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Humboldt County, CA
    Posts
    5,099

    Re: West Coast Imaging or Calypso?

    Sorry, no comparitive experience...but WCI will take good care of you and your work.

    Vaughn

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    1,098

    Re: West Coast Imaging or Calypso?

    No comparisons for scanning, but have worked with both for printing. The Calypso experience was an extended nightmare, the WCI experiences were smooth and painless.

  7. #7

    Re: West Coast Imaging or Calypso?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Paul, would you know what they charge for a 4x5 scan on the Creo?
    It depends on how many you have and what resolution you want. I can't remember what I paid last time but somewhere around $12-15 a scan. They'll negotiate with you.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    103

    Re: West Coast Imaging or Calypso?

    Thanks to all for your input. I recently spoke with Jeff at WCI and am impressed with his knowledge and professionalism which I'm sure translate well to his Tango scans.

    I'm leaning toward WCI but will have to wait for their next scanning sale.

  9. #9
    Doug Dolde
    Guest

    Re: West Coast Imaging or Calypso?

    JAINCOTECH.COM Ask for Guatam Pai. I have dumped WCI for Jainco, 1/5 the price of WCI, spotless dust free scans as good as Tango scans.

    In my opinion WCI is resting on their laurels.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,952

    Re: West Coast Imaging or Calypso?

    Quote Originally Posted by paul stimac View Post
    It depends on how many you have and what resolution you want. I can't remember what I paid last time but somewhere around $12-15 a scan. They'll negotiate with you.
    Thanks for the info Paul.

    I will send the same neg to Jainco and elsewhere for a drumscan for a comparison. I intend to print 24x30 so I can possibly save quite a bit if the Creo scans suffice.

Similar Threads

  1. Places to purchase an 8x10 on the west coast
    By Christopher Breitenstein in forum Resources
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 25-Jul-2007, 18:59
  2. Special Pricing on Tango Scans from Calypso Imaging
    By Capocheny in forum Resources
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-Feb-2007, 19:25
  3. FYI: Calypso Imaging Sale
    By roteague in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13-Jan-2007, 13:42
  4. Good Online LF Dealer on West Coast? ONLINE
    By Frank Petronio in forum Resources
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2-Sep-2006, 13:31
  5. Calypso Imaging
    By David Luttmann in forum Resources
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17-Jul-2006, 15:14

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •