Thread: Framing after you load the film

Framing after you load the film

So I'm doing some people photography, on the street as well and have encountered a problem. I setup the composition then load my film but the person kinda shifted, what is the best way to recheck your composition after you've loaded the film? I imagine I can put a little square on my hotshoe and look through it but how do I calibrate it, like a viewfinder...
    Where you should be hosting your photos: www.SmugMug.com

Re: Framing after you load the film

Quote Originally Posted by Sizam View Post
    ...what is the best way to recheck your composition after you've loaded the film? ...
    Use a piece of card with an aperture in it equal to the film size and position it so that the frame edges match what you had on the gg.

Steve

If you have a shoe, you could use a viewfinder like the ones made by Linhof or Horseman to check framing.

It can depend a little upon what aperture you are using, since closer to wide open gives less room for error. There are a few things I tend to do that help, though the external viewfinder is one thing that others mentioned that works okay.

You can have your talent (or model) only move along a line perpendicular to your camera, which should help maintain the plain of sharpest focus. You can use visual clues on the ground, aligning with nearby objects, or simpler items like tape or chalk. The same external visual clues can allow you to remember the edges of the framing for your shots.

I tend to like standing beside the camera, and interacting with the talent when I do people shots. This interaction can help change the feel of the shots. Sometimes it can be a good approach, though you might find a need for some practice to feel comfortable with this style of shooting.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Could one get hold of one of the older hot shoe rangefinders, this along with the aforementioned square might work. If you are tripoded and composed, set the rangefinder and insert the film. If things move reassess the square and move the subject forward and back till rangefinder realigns.

I find the sports finder on my Busch to be indispensible. Prior to loading the film, I compare the framing of the GG to the finder, then reframe as needed after loading. Pretty good for a big ol' loop of wire.

As you're framing, take note of the edges of the frame in relation to the background. That way, you can sight over the camera and see where the person may have shifted by seeing where they are relative to the background. For towards-or-away from the camera, a string with a knot that extends from camera-to-nose can work.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Thanks guys, I found an old Linhof multifocus on eBay for $200 shipped and I nabbed it.
    Where you should be hosting your photos: www.SmugMug.com