Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: still using digital?

Doug Dolde

Re: still using digital?

I have a Coolpix 4500 I bought used from B&H for $159. Good for snaps and such but when I want to make a real photograph I use my 4x5.

I still think a good 35mm transparency taken with say a Contax G or Leica M system with a Nikon 5000 scan will compete with even the higher end digital setup...then again, the Nikon 5000 along with the prices still going for the analog gear wipes away the costs of a Canon 5D w/some nice Zeiss/Rollei HFT primes.

Using a DSLR is like eating at McDonald's, cheap, easy, and available everywhere. Eventually after eating long enough at McDonald's, one may decided that cheap, easy, available everywhere is best and not even remember the better stuff they used to eat.

I just finished up a series of 30 photographs of historical Georgetown doorways and gardens taken with my cell phone camera. As each picture is smaller than post card size (I've printed them out as diptychs onto 8 1/2 x 11 inkjet paper) I am not as concerned about their fine detail as the overall image.

Two problems with cellphone cameras: 1) they have much less dynamic range than Ektachrome (highlights, sky and sunny areas tend toward blank white), and 2) they're hard to frame with any more than a general guess - no tripod stand mounts. With some judicious Photoshopping they can turn out OK.

Today I did penance, and shot a half dozen 4x5 Provia chromes. They look pretty good, too.

I'm often slightly upset that my cell phone (that sounds very strange in the UK - mobile phone) seems to come up with more dynamic range and acceptable metering than my top end dSLR it amazes me that such low end cameras can create such reasonable images.

Sounds like an interesting project you've been up to!